What's new

What should I do with only 2 pipes?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since Im "new" again, Im going back over the pipe smoking basics. I've already had great success with the Frank packing method altho I still need to work on it, since it seems (to me) the bowl is getting a bit warm but I've been able to get a few whole bowls whereas with the 3 step, I gave up after half.

But the thing is, Im seeing conflicting reports on how often people smoke the same pipe. I've read everything from "rest the pipe 7 days between smokes" to "I had a bowl this morning an one on the way home from work, Ill let it sit a day then back at it" (paraphrasing)

Right now, I only have 2 pipes and I REALLY like them. I have my eye on a few others but the budget wont allow me to do much right now. Heck, Im using an ACTUAL FRAMING NAIL as a pipe tool...but it gets the job done. Im thinking about getting a Morgan Bones 34 bend billiard and a Boswell Twist at some point.

SO, how SHOULD I rotate them? And should I actually have dedicated pipes for different baccy's? I've really only ever had 1 local blend and I attempted that stuff you can get at Walmart...no.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some people use one pipe and use it a lot and just clean it and keep going. I have read where others have a rotating method of multiple pipes. As I'm new I won't say which is better or worse. I have a few MM cob pipes both the ozark pipes from MM and a briar to be delivered soon. My MM pipes were all under $10 except for one and they are pretty reliable thus far.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know Ill end up with a MM sooner or later, but I hadnt had too much luck with the ones I've had in the past (might just have been generic cobs).

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you'll just have the two pipes for awhile, which is totally fine (and smart for your bank account ) Use one for aromatics if you smoke them, and one for everything else.
As for letting them rest, not necessary as long as the pipe isn't getting too hot. You do need to let the pipe rest for a few hours and cool down if you plan on cleaning it and removing the stem from the bowl however.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you'll just have the two pipes for awhile, which is totally fine (and smart for your bank account ) Use one for aromatics if you smoke them, and one for everything else.
my experience so far is only with aros, but i've had a few tins in the past that im pretty sure were garbage (ive felt paper bags more moist than the tobacco in the tins...) so for now, Im smoking a black cavendish with vanilla (i think). was my fav at the shop I was in, still is and good too since its all ive got! lol

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
For me, personally, I don't smoke specific baccy in specific pipes. I put everything through each of them.

Although, over time your pipe collection will grow whether you like the corn cobs or the briars. I've smoked one pipe, multiple times in a day, just give them some time to completely cool down before you tackle another bowl into it.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I do the 24 hr rule, BUT, I only smoke a bowl or two a day. I'd highly suggest some cobs. I know it's not the look and feel that everyone wants, but they smoke great, and are cheap. You'll pick up more briars as you go along. When I go camping I generally only smoke cobs.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you are. And over time I'm sure you'll get more pipes and tobaccos if you enjoy smoking them.
Before I gave these 2 to my friend, I had about a dozen that I whittled down to just these thru sales and gifting to friends. So yeah, I KNOW Ill have more...now I got transportation taken care of Im going to work on getting baccy and then a cellar.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Before I gave these 2 to my friend, I had about a dozen that I whittled down to just these thru sales and gifting to friends. So yeah, I KNOW Ill have more...now I got transportation taken care of Im going to work on getting baccy and then a cellar.
It'll happen all in due time. When I started I set my limits on prices for a pipe. With the exception of my BOTL PoTY pipes, all others are under my budget limit prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Which is why I have 2 Savinelli Pipes with a bowl on them you can put a newborn in...it needs its own tripod....no small bowls for me. Each of those pipes hold enough tobacco for an hours smoking pleasure.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It'll happen all in due time. When I started I set my limits on prices for a pipe. With the exception of my BOTL PoTY pipes, all others are under my budget limit prices.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right now, this is what Im doing. A friend told me about this thing called "moderation" and Im giving it a shot, altho I do miss the days when Id drop $400 on a few kilos of shisha. :shame: So my budget this time was spent on the Maxped bags, much to my chagrin as I will be out of anything to fill my pipes with for at least a few weeks... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Which is why I have 2 Savinelli Pipes with a bowl on them you can put a newborn in...it needs its own tripod....no small bowls for me. Each of those pipes hold enough tobacco for an hours smoking pleasure.
I think thats how my 616 is. I could bathe in it in pinch.