What's new

What should I do with potential power outage?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With Nate heading right for us and with everything picked up and food and water stored away my attention turns to ...cigars. I have 4 large tupperdors in a refrigerator I'm keeping between 65 and 67 degrees. We expect power outages that may last 3 or 4 days. Should I run the fridge down to the low 40s and get everything as cool as possible before I loose power? Or do you see a problem with the rapid temperature change? If damage is more severe then expected and power will be out for an extended time I can move the cigars into ziplocks and store them in ice chests with block ice. Our daytime temps are running in the mid 80s.

I already have plans to transfer everything in the New Air to ice chests because I know it won't hold the cool as long as the refrigerator.

Thanks for the advice

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you think the humidity swings due to change in temperature will be an issue. Using KL in the tupperdors.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Do you think the humidity swings due to change in temperature will be an issue. Using KL in the tupperdors.
I would think, maybe if you were opening them a lot? Might wanna dedicate a small Tupperware or 2 for smokes to burn while the power is out - then you won't have to worry about it with your main tupperdors

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great advice guys, yea that's probably the thing to do. Leave them closed up and in the fridge. If power is out 4 or 5 days they'll go into ice chests. I'll have plenty of sit around time so I'll pull out a good supply. I'm going to go ahead and drop the temperature on them.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
worst case , muted flavors / erratic burns if smoked too soon there afterwards.
Then one gauge on swing could be :
light - 2weeks , harsh - 2months recover equilibrium state time

Stay safe

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just went through that scenario with Irma, with temps just a little higher. In short, don't sweat it.

IMO, a few days of higher temps won't really hurt anything. I dropped the rh a few points in the days before, just to compensate for the raised temps i dealt with. If you see any effects, I think the elevated rh is what will do it. I didn't bother keeping the cooler closed. It's gonna swing that few degrees no matter what. Save the concern about temperature for your perishable foods. Worry about your other stuff. When the storm passes, there's no power, and everything's closed, go in there, pick something nice, and burn it. Thats what i did.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coolerdor sits in the basement at 68F/69RH for several months with no frige and no intervention from me, no matter how many times I open the lid. I would think if you want to be safe, the way to go is to add a larger volume of 2 way media to temper any fluxuations. Remember, a cooler is insulated. Maintaining temperature all by itself is what it's made for. As for ice, I'd think it would do more harm than good, since ice melts and increased RH. You don't want soggy cigars, do you?