What's new

What To Do With Those Empty Cigar Boxes

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Make lamps! That's what I did tonight, I was getting tired of looking at all the empty boxes in my basement and decided to be creative. The first one is one that I made a while back that sits on a table in my office, the other three smaller ones I did tonight.

The lamp in my office.

The VSG lamp.

The Hemingway lamp.

The Padron lamp.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I want one. How much are the parts for one of those. I think I could put that together. I just got a few boxes from the B&M and didn't know why. It must have been fate.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
How much are the parts for one of those.
Hey David,

That all depends on the shade, for the most part they're pretty reasonable:

Threaded rod - $3
Nuts - $1
Cord - $3
Socket - $3
Shade - $20

The shades I use are pretty cool, they have a plastic backing, but the outside part is actually brown paper that has some darker flecks in it, kinda looking like tobacco leaf. They're a little more expensive, but it really makes the bands stick on well because it's a paper to paper adhesion, and it looks cool.

The hardest part is drilling through the tube, be careful on this, it's a small part and if torn, makes VERY sharp edges.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Damn Wade, those lamps are awesome! Between the lamps and the humi, youre becoming quite the wood worker!

-By the way, is that snow on the ground already? Here in PA, the temps are just starting to get into the 50s.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Damn Wade, those lamps are awesome! Between the lamps and the humi, youre becoming quite the wood worker!

-By the way, is that snow on the ground already? Here in PA, the temps are just starting to get into the 50s.
TY, I've been doing woodworking for quite a while, but this isn't really woodworking, it's just drilling a few holes and doing some assembly. I've done several clocks out of cigar boxes that I used to sell and or trade for cigars as well, but nobody seems to have interest in those anymore.

It is snow, but that pic was taken last fall. The first lamp that I have pictured is one I did quite a while ago and it sits in my office at work.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Those are very cool. Kinda reminds me of shop class when they made us make lamps. I am envious of the first pic. Tell us, what sticks are those in the picture? Inquiring minds want to know.