What's new

Whats going on with my Sav Stem?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I was given back my old pipes from a friend. Now, I doubt this was anything he did but I've never noticed it (but then again, I also never took a flashlight to them before either...) before. Seems that the wood side of the pipe has a weird discoloration on it.

Now heres the kicker: you can only see it if you shine a light on it. And its only on the one, (these were stored in a pleather pouch), the other one has no such looks. Both pipes are Savenelli (this is the 616KS, the other one not pictured is a Duca Carlo).

Doesnt seem to affect anything, just wonderin what the heck is going on here.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Yeah. I'd guess the start of some oxidation. I'm not sure if the Duca Carlo is the same stem material or not. (one pain black could be ebonite while another could be acrylic)

Just an FYI, the 616KS is a shape name and all 616 should be the same shape throughout different finish families. Duca Carlo is a finish, and all Duca Carlo will have the same stem material, stain color, and accent trims throughout all the different shapes marked as such.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tips guys! Im going to look into it some more, but heres the ONLY thing leading me to think its not oxidation: it almost looks like when plexiglass is stressed and "crazes" Now, I have no ideas either way really but thats just what it looks to me, as the white areas are basically all little lines. I just pulled it out and you could BARELY make out where is affected in day light.

Also thanks for the heads up on the models, the only thing I had to go by in regards to what these were was what I had on the sides of them, and "italy" is a bit broad... the 616 has to be my all time favorite and I plan on more when the money is right.