What's new

What's Your Challenge?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Where you going next with all this?
We got ReMix always has her eye on a prize, like one gar containing every baccy known to LO & WLT, new teas, new shapes. We got MarcL seems like he's well down the road to be the Rembrandt of wrappers. We got Bliss, we're always lookin for his next vid. Now we got Keith Jones killin the cad molds. Those 3D prints are consummate kewl.

What's on your mind long term?

I scored a box of Big Payback chavala. Come in boxes of 50. It's a robusto -- dunno why they call it chavala. Terrific boxes with an inch and a quarter flange, so they seal just super. My plan is to fill that box with 50 consistent 50rg unmolded quickies. That might take a couple months. Once I can pop bustos out presentable, then I have another chavala box, I'll empty that out and attack the problem of making consistent freehand fectos. If I can ever master the quickiefecto, ... then I'll feel half quaified.

You? What's in your cross hairs?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my current direction. I pull a vacuum a half a dozen times on new, fresh rolled cigars to get them all to the same level of dryness and then wait for an evening of around 70% RH and fill them with new the new moisture level. Using a hygrometer I may have to do this several times before they can hold around 68% RH. Once they hold that level I insert a 69% Boveda pack in the center and lock them in a large glass jar. Each jar hold around 60 cigars.

No leakage and the Boveda does a wonderful job of maintaining the proper RH. BTW... I have found the cigars taste better near this level of 69%. They burn fine and are not as acrid as the drier levels like 60%.

The next new thing will be using the vacuum pump to do some infusing of flavors. Instead of waiting months for a flavor to absorb to the center of the cigar the vacuum delivers the infusion immediately. Experimenting with this currently.

The process of using vacuum cuts down the time element drastically and makes cigars smokable in a fraction of the time.

What's new.jpg

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well let's see. Long term...I'd like to settle into a rythm around my rotating shift work that allowed rollin once per week. Trick is with the 9 and 11 yr old I give them priority over the cigar rolling so when time is short, rolling is the first thing off the list. One day, rolling will get more time, but that's in the future. In the mean time, I hope to make slow incremental improvements in the blends and get consistent draw. The appearance seems to improve with frequent repetition so it may suffer for now but blends and draw seem to be formula based so if I take accurate notes, I should be able to improve even without practicing as often as I'd like to. That's my challenge for now.
Oh, and making enough to store/age them for a year...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Time to bump this for the New Year's Res.

My new project this year will be to ditch the spritz. Completely. No spritz bottle on the rolling table at all. Filler from the bag just as it came, binder as is, wrapper can spend a day in the conditioning chamber, no spritz. Be terrific for making test rolls, I think. Be terrific for managing consistent tightness, specially in the head.

You ? What do you want to work on this year?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Stopped buying NC's, have around 450 that still need using up, going to go with only home rolls and CC's.
For the home rolls, need to come up with a blend that i can call the "house blend" getting close i think.
Need more work on my capping and being more consistant with my wrapping, i have stopped spritzing when im rolling so that put me back a little on my wrapping skills, was a lot easier when i was spritzing the wrapper as i rolled.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Finishing my tobacco bodega and buying my first purchase of Honduran tobacco, followed by one from Nicaragua
I want to buy tobacco from this guy... That and I want to get my cigar line off the ground. Do more live rolling events and network with more of the big guys in the industry that I look up to that I have been talking with behind the scenes over the past few months. Basically, time to stop being scared and go big.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd like to find a vintage metal cepo gauge like those ones MarcL has. Been using paper and plastic for too long. And maybe a nice small pair of vintage art nouveau scissors with a good edge.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'd like to find a vintage metal cepo gauge like those ones MarcL has. Been using paper and plastic for too long. And maybe a nice small pair of vintage art nouveau scissors with a good edge.
I've been looking for one of those gauges for over a year.