What's new

What's Your Secret Ingredient?

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My wife and I have a long-standing tradition of making chili together. Keep in mind, there aren't many things we play nice with, so the chili is a kind of a nice thing. I call it our "love-chili"!
Anyway, we don't have a set recipe, so every time it's different. The other day, when we were making chili, I started looking around the spice rack for something we've never used and I found the perfect addition: powdered caramel popcorn seasoning!
My wife was totally against trying it, so I had to wait until she left the kitchen! :)

I tell ya, it worked out great! It adds this nice hint of sweetness you don't find in chili too often.

So, anyone else have a secret ingredient, or story of experimentation gone right- or wrong?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I try to keep Thia chili peppers around - they act as a great 'heating-agent' because they have, kind of a 'clean' heat - I put them in BBQ, spaghetti sauce, stir fry, etc... I suppose that isn't much of a 'secret ingredient', but I like it spicey!!!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
HONEY!

Not sure where I got the tip from but years back someone put a drizzle of honey on top of a bowl of chili and told me to try it - delicious! I never woulda thunk it but it worked out great. I would have cringed at the caramel popcorn idea but see where a touch of that would work. I also top my with jalapenos, cheddar and sour cream!

Great, now I want some chili...

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I top mine with shredded cheese ans sour cream, too. And yes, I know, the caramel does sound odd, but dammit it was GOOD!! Oh yeah, my wife and kids are EXTREMELY sensitive to spicy things, so the peppers, etc are a no-go for me.