What's new

When To Punch

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I carry a punch on my keychain, but only as an emergency backup plan - the only time I use it is when I'm out and about, and don't have a normal cutter available. It's not my preferred method, but it serves it's intended purpose.

Although it sounds like what you're asking is, when would it be preferable to use a punch? It's still ultimately a matter of personal preference, although I could see where a punch might be beneficial - if you prefer a slightly tighter draw, or if you have a short filler cigar and want to minimize the number of tiny tobacco pieces that end up on your tongue. Maybe wait for those who use a punch to chime in here before taking my opinion as the ultimate truth on the usefulness on punch cutters though

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I carry a punch on my keychain, but only as an emergency backup plan - the only time I use it is when I'm out and about, and don't have a normal cutter available. It's not my preferred method, but it serves it's intended purpose.

Although it sounds like what you're asking is, when would it be preferable to use a punch? It's still ultimately a matter of personal preference, although I could see where a punch might be beneficial - if you prefer a slightly tighter draw, or if you have a short filler cigar and want to minimize the number of tiny tobacco pieces that end up on your tongue. Maybe wait for those who use a punch to chime in here before taking my opinion as the ultimate truth on the usefulness on punch cutters though
Yes that was what I was asking. Sorry for not being more clear, haven’t had enough coffee or my first smoke yet. I’ve recently started using a punch and was wondering how guys that use various types of cutters determine which to use and when.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When the cap is screwed up and/or you foresee a problem with the wrapper unraveling. A punch will maintain more of the cap, hopefully delaying the problem. At least that's my logic.

Also a lot of new smokers like the smaller draw and ease of use of a punch.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I have a couple boxes of larger cigars where the cigars are a tad underfilled, and using a guillotine cut makes the draw too easy. On cigars like this, I use a punch. Other than that, just every once in a while when I get a wild hair.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
As with EVERYTHING (except for lighting the head of the cigar.......only that one time when I was drunk drinking @icehog3 I swear) it's all personal preference John.
Sometimes I will use a punch 90% of the time, other times it's a a v-cut 90% of the time, or a straight cut 90% of the time.....I've never chewed off the end like a real man though

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone saying it’s personal preference and situational. For me, I only use a punch when I travel and I don’t check luggage. The reason? Even though the airlines and TSA rules do not specially ban cigar cutters, there are some TSA employees who are poorly trained or happen to have a bad attitude on the day I go through the checkpoint. Having personality experienced the ‘full TSA treatment’ when a TSA saw a wrapped protein bar in my briefcase. He decided it might be a contraband object of some sort and pulled me and my carry on stuff for ‘closer inspection.’ Since that experience, I’ve decided not to risk my good cutters (a Xikar VX2 and a SAW knife with a scissor cigar cutter. My solution, I travel with an inexpensive keychain punch. If they confiscate it I’m only out a few bucks.

The downside of a punch is when a cigar has a bad draw. With cutters, you can snip off a bit more. With a punch, they don’t always come with multiple sizes. If you only have a punch, you need to punch a second hole or you need a draw tool like the PerfecDraw. I won’t travel with a PerfecDraw either when I don’t check luggage. I figure TSA would surely have a problem with a tool that is 4 or 5 inches long, having several barbs on the point.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Anymore, never... Haven't used a punch in years. Usually use a v cutter, every once and a while straight cutter.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When the cap is screwed up and/or you foresee a problem with the wrapper unraveling. A punch will maintain more of the cap, hopefully delaying the problem. At least that's my logic.

Also a lot of new smokers like the smaller draw and ease of use of a punch.
That was my thought as well Boudie. What are your thoughts on the V cut. I don’t have a V cutter. Is it worth getting one and what are its advantages.