What's new

Where did the term "Herf" come from?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I've used this term for years now because of the forums. VHerfs are one of my favorite things to do when I can. But every time I mention the term to people who have never heard it, they give me a weird look, I explain that it's a group of people getting together to smoke cigars. Then comes the question that I have no answer to:

"Why is that called a "herf"?

Does anyone know? Am I missing an obvious answer? Is it an acronym for something?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I read a blog article about the origin of the term, don't have a copy and don't know how to find it. The word was apparently "simply made up" by the first internet users to use it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It does sound like the noise my wife made when she decided to smoke her first cigar like a cigarette

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I like to think that maybe it came from some poor soul with a terribly over tight cigar. He persists in smoking the cigar because it has an amazing flavor, but the roll is just way too tight, and by the end of it his laborous effort has left each attempt at puffing with a weezing "HERRFFFF HERFFFFF" sound

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have not idea. I have read a few accounts that say it came from Ancient Greece, I've heard it came from some guy who grew tobacco seeds in Philadelphia, I've heard it came from some blogger in the mid 90's. I believe none of it. Wonder if it's kind of one of those things that's been around so long that there is no true origin. Who knows though. One things for sure, I can't wait to hear all the entertaining stories about his topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I saw this the first time on the J R catalog with Lew Rothman on the cover in a flight helmet .
Mid 90s for sure...........
J R was also the source of the first 5 finger cigar bag I ever saw.