What's new

Where to begin...???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Besides my intro post, this is is my first post here. I have been thinking about rolling my own cigars for a little over a week now. I have watched a lot of youtube videos, and have taken a lot of notes. lol

So here is my first question - how much tobacco do start with? I want to start with one of the blends from WLT, but will one be enough? Do I order two or three? Which blends do I start with? Maybe order the 5 blends they have on stock... Haha!

I am looking at smoking mabe 2-3 a day. Nothing huge, maybe like a corona. The website says a kit will build 18-20 cigars with each kit. Is this accurate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Rex

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I not sure I could have put it any better then what you've said already. Your on the info, your on the materials and you've been directed over to Fair Trade Tabacco already I see so, all that's left now is you getting started.

Myself, I will certainly look forward to seeing you get started and helping so, ask any thing.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Go for it Rex, it's a fun pastime. I only roll occasionally. I do it for the challenge. I enjoy trying all sorts of different shapes and sizes.
It took me a few years to land on a blend I liked enough to want to stick with. It seems most of the guys on here roll many different blends but I must have tried over 50 different blends before I hit one that I wanted to repeat. Maybe my pallet is too limited.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Bruce T. Once I hit a blend I like--I also find it a challenge--then I just make subtle tweaks to see what happens. The hunt is a big part of the fun for me. Plus, what am I going to do with all that leaf that didn't make it into the winning blend? Insert little pieces of it to see what happens....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WLT kits will roll more like 30 coronas.

Couple kits should be plenty for a start

Remember to post loads of pics right here

Here's a good place for a beginner to begin:

Enjoy
Hi Robert! Ha! Your video was one of the first I watched, and one of my favorites! Very helpful video. Thanks! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to pull the trigger on a couple blend kits. I ordered the Terroso Profundo kit, as well as the Oscuro y Rico kit! I also ordered the cigar Rolling Started Kit from leafonly. I am VERY excited. Hope these are good starters!

Thank you all for your help! Question - what do you keep your cigars in and how do you keep them from drying out? I have watched a lot of youtube, but I'm wondering about how you do it. Also, I have ordered 6, 12-qt tubs with lids from Amazon. I have seen some keep their leaves in there.

Cheers!

Rex

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!
I have a 70 and 120 quart Igloo cooler for finished sticks. Rubbermaid Food Storage 2.5 gallon for preped leaf. Larger tubs for opened leaf in ziplock in kitchen bags. A few cigar caddys.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Maybe my pallet is too limited.

Perhaps it is your spelling that is too limited. A pallet is a skid on a loading dock, stacked with packages to be shipped, making it convenient for a forklift to slide its forks beneath the cargo. A palate, on the other hand, is a mystery. If you have a palate, it will necessarily be limited. In fact, I'd bet it's not the least unusual for a fellow to go through fifty blends before he finds the one. ESPECIALLY if that fellow persists in trying too many varieties of leaf in each blend.

Now that you have found the one you like, find out what makes it the one you like. The next thing to do is to make minor adjustment to that one combo, so as to find out which of your components is doing what for you. Then try blends with just one or two of those components each time. When you find another one you like, think "what could I add to do what?" and "What could I detract?"

I aspire to make a vid about blending, cause I just can't find one. Gathering up ideas now. No, that old chestnut about "to each his own" does not get the job done. See, there are truths, and then there are useless truths. That trite idea may be true, as far as it goes, but it does not help. Blending should not be hit or miss. Relativity may have been good for Einstein, but it has proved bad for art.

Last edited: