What's new

Which BOTL invented the PALIO?

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got my very own shiny, new Palio a couple of days ago and I've used it a few times, and a couple friends have used it too... It's tremendous, smooth, solid- everything everybody says it is. I've converted BACK from a punch cutter to a straight cut...

My surprise was that the Palio has little silver BOTL symbols engraved on both sides. I had no idea... Is it a formal member of BOTL.org who invented the thing, OR is BOTL a much more common term than I knew...

And what's that symbol next to the letters, BOTL?

If it's one of us, THANK YOU, Man!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
BOTL is a very common term with cigar smokers in general. The company was around way back when and then disbanded for a short time. It was then re-bought and the product released again.

So it has nothing to do with BOTL other then providing us with fantastic cuts.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh... Thanks for the explanation. I naively thought BOTL was somehow affiliated with botl.org.

Back when I first started smoking 10 years ago (before my hiatus) I don't remember that term at all being kicked around, so I guess I thought BOTL was proprietary- coined just for this website... Didn't realize it was so ubiquitous.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
BOTL is a very common term with cigar smokers in general. The company was around way back when and then disbanded for a short time. It was then re-bought and the product released again.

So it has nothing to do with BOTL other then providing us with fantastic cuts.
That's correct. The "BOTL" on the logo is the initials of Palio company Brother of the Leaf LLC. The old logo was the intials of the previous owner "A&C" Amyx - Christie.

I think one of the owners is a semi-regular poster on Club Stogie.
A member here as well, but hasn't posted. Hopefully he will chime in this thread and give us a bit more history.

Palio is the only cigar cutter I ever recommend.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I met one of the owners recently at a herf, VERY nice guy and excited about their success at the recent RTDA and new products coming out. Palio is not the only cutter I reccomend, but it's one hell of a cutter!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Very cool Kevin. There certainly are other cutters out there but for the price, this one sure packs on helluva bang.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It would be cool to get a history on the brand and where the future is going with Palio.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
It would be cool to get a history on the brand and where the future is going with Palio.

Well, if I remember correctly from my conversation, the Palio cutter design was made by a doctor that has invented several medical tools. This guy basically designs and sells them. He wasn't really interested in marketing the cutter, as his strength is more in the design, not business end. So a few guys got together and bought the company or rights to the Palio name and design. N2Advnture could probably answer this more thoroughly.

Then again, I may be totally wrong. You know us old guys, we can't remember stuff!!