What's new

Which cutter would you choose?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Looking to get a new cutter, and the Xikar xi2 and Colibri Cut are the same price.

I have heard good things about both, and have had a nice Xikar cutter (forget which model) before and it worked great.

I have never had a colibri.
I'm in the fence on which one to get so recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I just bought a Xikar today. My Palios are all shot and the new ones since the company was sold are not like the old ones. I have a Colibri V-cutter when I want a V cut, but I am going back to the Xikar for guillotine cuts.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Just seeing this; I've had good luck with all of my Xikar and Palio cutters.

Nice thing about Xikar is their warranty; I've sent in a lighter and a cutter at seperate times and they just end up sending me a brand new one.

If it were me, and I was looking for a straight cut, I'd be looking at those two. No experience with Colibri outside of using some others that BOTL had, but I've heard their V cut is the jam.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Unless it's your only cutter and you like belicosos. ;)
Actually I think the hole in the center plate of that cutter is there to allow you to cut belicosos.

Many of the other cutters with a center plate do not have that.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also have a pair of Xikar scissors, super sharp and great for trimming up the cap if needed.
Never used anything but a guillotine cutter.

Do have a punch that came with an ashtray I have and will likely need it on 2, 70rg cigars I have as I don't think they will fit my cutter.

I like my Colibri Cut so far. Been using it since Christmas and makes nice clean cuts every time.

Used to use a couple Xikar cutters years ago and they worked fine too, but are a little more expensive than Colibri, so decided to try one when the el cheapo from Amazon for like $10 at most, started getting dull after a couple years of daily use.

Also did use my very sharp knife to make a v cut as someone suggested just to try out the v cut as so many people prefer them. Can't say that I noticed any difference from a straight cut.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I believe that is the one I used to have too. If so, it was a great cutter and stayed sharp for many years. It somewhere in a storage unit 6 hours away so now have a Colibri Cut and it works great also

Yeah I am not to picky when it comes to cutters. Long as it isnt cracking my wrappers

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I am not to picky when it comes to cutters. Long as it isnt cracking my wrappers
I was using an el cheapo, faux wood, cutter from Amazon.
Worked great for about a year and a half, then started getting dull and not cutting cleanly, so it was time for a new one.

Debated just buying the same one again, but Christmas was close, so opted to put something better but more expensive, on my list instead.

Almost went with Xikar again, but Colibri seemed to get equally good reviews and recommendations from my forums, and it was $10 cheaper than the Xikar, so decided to give them a shot.

So far, so good since Christmas. We'll see how long it stays sharp...

If it doesn't last several years minimum, I will likely go back to el cheapos and just replace as needed.

Not sure if it has any kind of guarantee like I believe Xikar does (I believe Xikar lighters have a lifetime warranty, not sure on their cutters), will look into warranties on cutters for both.

I'm not picky about torch lighters or cutters at all either, as long as they last long enough to justify the price or have a lifetime warranty.

Current lighter of choice is the cheap 2 pack of Vertigo by Lotus Cyclone triple flame torch on Amazon. Actually very good lighters for the price if you get a good one.

Last 2 pack was bought 2 years ago and one was intermittent from the beginning but the other worked perfectly for 2 years until it disappeared in my recliner and for the life of me, can't find it even flipping over the chair and and feeling and looking everywhere with flashlight.

glad they come in 2 packs to increase chances that at least 1 will be reliable.

So far both new ones work perfectly, so may have gotten 2 good ones.

Was considering putting a Xikar on my Christmas list this year, but for the price difference, the Vertigo's are fine.

Plus someone who saw my post on another forum about the Xikar I was looking at, is giving me a couple Xikars he doesn't use, so as long as they work well, I'm set.