What's new

Which is less of a health risk?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Hmmm...I rarely mix beer and the hard stuff. I was reading a workout magazine one time and it said that beer enduces estrogen in the body. hmmmmm :scratchhe

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I'm talking about health risks such as kidney and liver damage. If one were going to sit down and obtain a buzz, is it less of a health risk (notice I said less cuz I know both ways are bad to a certain degree) to drink the 6 beers or 6 mixed drinks?

Where's Eddie Munster when ya need him??

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Clay can be your lab rat for short term effects :hysterica I seriously have no clue but I'd bet the hard liquor would be more detrimental to your body. No rhyme or reason for my answer though.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
On a one for one basis I've heard that the mixed drinks are worse. I'm going from memory though so I could be way off. Too many mixed drinks maybe!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Depends. Over what time frame? Are the mixed drinks "standard" (1.5 oz of liquor each)?
Roughly:
1.5 oz of liquor = 12 oz of beer = 4 oz of wine

I'd say you're in bigger trouble if you drink a 12 pack in an hour than if you drink 5-6 mixed drinks in an hour.
Alcohol is alcohol. Doesn't matter where it comes from, just the amount and duration. That being said, wine is probably better for you because of some the heart benefits.
There might be a processing issue though, since beer contains other things besides alcohol that need to be metabolized

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'll do the test on the mixed drinks...as long as you don't dilute them with water...just an ice cube is enough of a dilution for me...

it's the hard stuff that will kill ya, beer don't stand a chance!