What's new

Which test? Flashlight or Whoosh?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, so here's a silly little nitpick question. Let's say you have a humi that passes the flashlight test, but not the whoosh test. Do you bother to worry about it so long as it passes one, or should it pass both?

Also, a tip for those who like to worry, like myself. :)lol:) On my most recent humi aquisition the humi did exactly as above. I then seasoned it and the bang turned into more of a muffled thump. Not quite a whoosh, but nowhere near the bang it made when I first got it. Moral of the story, season first, then test. :)

But back to the question, let's pretend that it still banged. Would you care, or is the flashlight test enough to let you know that you don't have to worry?

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Interesting question. I have a humi that "whooshes" and one that doesn't. However the one that doesn't DOES hold a good humi stable 65%. So my answer to you is....if it holds and works, don't f with it. If it doesn't hold the temp/humi setting...send it back.

Ask RonC however, he is the resident expert in the house...hehehe

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have one that just doesn't hold, it's really old and was a gift from my FIL and was given to him by someone in his family. Doesn't pass either test. That one is up for a cedar-strip-fix as soon as I have the time.
Jury's still out on the new Brazilia. Passes the flashlight test, doesn't bang any more, but doesn't really Whoosh either. It's loaded just about to capacity with two tubes of 65% beads mixed in with the gars. Readout shows 64% right now (down from 65% yesterday) and I'm waiting for it to stablize. Considering the fact that all of my hygros are within 1-2 points of each other I wouldn't be surprised if it settles down in the 62-63% range (assuming it settles and doesn't just keep dropping). We shall see.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you do the dollar bill test on the humidor. if any areas between the lid and base dont have any resistance, you put one layer of tape in that area. then you test again. If lid is warped, you might need a few layers of tape. It will only wear down if its rubbing, and that wont matter. it will wear down to a point where it still seals fine.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Kind of a given, don'tcha think Avid? ;)

Thanks for the tip Ron, I'm trying out the masking tape idea as a temp fix until I've managed to smoke enough sticks with the cedar wrappers.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, the masknig tape just didn't do it. Gonna try the slivers of cedar wrappers trick and see how that does. I don't know if this one can be fixed...might be warped.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it is warped just a bit, you can shim the hinges and put in a new liner. Good as new.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hey Xrun, what language is that you're speaking?:smt082 :smt082

I'm seriously mechanically challenged, so I'm only slightly kidding. I don't know if it's warped or not, it was just a guess as to why it just refuses to hold humidity.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it's warped where the lid meets the body, it won't seat evenly. You can see it. Older humidors will rarely have a very good seal. Maybe the cedar shrinks over time. Anyway, if you don't have tools 'cause you're scared of hurting yourself, the tape thing is a good idea! :smt025