What's new

White mold spots on head of cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 3x5 cardboard pack of Hdm petit robustos, UTE Oct 15. Opened and inspected each cigar last night, and found small white mold spots on 4 of the cigars. Four to five white mold spots mainly on the caps, the feet are clean. I wiped the mold off with a soft paper tissue. and replaced the cigars in their cardboard packs. Is this the best way to clean them? I've read things like using high proof vodka to clean mold?

The more important question is, after having thoroughly wiped them down, can I store these cigars in my tupperdor (65% rh, ~67 F) with the rest of my stash? will the rest of my cigars get infected? what is the best way to store these after wiping them down? And unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the infected cigars before wiping them down.

Thanks for your help.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never wiped them down with anything other than a dry tissue. I just can't bring myself to get them wet with anything. I always quarantine those infected cigars in a separate storage as to not risk my other cigars. I cant let them mingle with my general population because it's just not worth the risk to me. I've only ever had a few cigars with mold over the years and only on cigars I had purchased or been gifted. All my new cigars get a freeze so after wiping they go through a freeze and then to quarantine and I have never had any mold grow back although I do tend to smoke those cigars up pretty quick.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you caught it at a good time if it was restricted to a few spots.
mold needs moisture to grow.
if your humi is not currently growing mold,you can put the culprits in and keep an eye.
alcohol is safe for cleaning mold, just do not go crazy with it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mold spores are not killed by freezing, just temporarily deactivated. I agree with wiping the cigars down to get the mold off. If it gets in the foot of the cigar, throw it out. I also segregate them from other cigars because I do not want to introduce more mold spores into my humidor. They are everywhere anyway and just need the right conditions to activate, but why take the chance?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Mold spores are literally everywhere. What they need is proper moisture conditions to grow. As long as your humidor is properly humidified and temps are controlled, you can wipe them off and put them in and the mold will not grow back.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not like background radiation everywhere though, mold is generally localized unless your active humidifier fucks up starts an moist alien colony.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any mold on my cigars but I would think that the cardboard is the problem. Moisture and cardboard would probably inhibit mold growth, IMHO.