What's new

Whole Bean Containers

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Probably can't go wrong with those Tom. I've been homeroasting now for over a year and simply use wide mouth ball jars. I keep my coffee in my pantry, so there is little or no light.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a number of Gevalia Ceramic coffee containers I got free when I worked at Philip Morris.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Brian,
Isn't it old school to freeze or refrig beans? My understanding is that robs them of essential oils and is muy bad? Air tight at room temp.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Brian,
Isn't it old school to freeze or refrig beans? My understanding is that robs them of essential oils and is muy bad? Air tight at room temp.
Yeah, that is the feeling among most professional coffee folks and myself. Refrigerating or freezing tends to dry out the beans. Our refrigerators are, after all, evaporative coolers. Some people think that freezing may also burst the cell walls inside the bean that hold all those essential oils and chemical compounds that give coffee it's flavor, allowing them to evaporate.

There are some experiments going on with flash freezing green coffee at below zero temps to preserve top lots for future use but it's not something that could be recreated with most home freezing equipment. If you're buying your coffee fresh roasted (from Black Dog Coffee for instance!) and using it within a couple weeks there is no need to do anything but keep as much oxygen as possible away from the beans by storing them in an airtight container.

I did some experimenting about 15 years ago with freezing roasted coffee at home and found that, to my taste, it ruined the flavor of the coffee. For that matter, I can't think of anything, be it fruit, vegetable, meat or otherwise that tastes as good after it's been frozen as it did when it was fresh.

I also run into quite a few cigar novices who think it's best to store their cigars in the fridge (because that's what they've heard). How many of us would do that?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yeah, that is the feeling among most professional coffee folks and myself. Refrigerating or freezing tends to dry out the beans. Our refrigerators are, after all, evaporative coolers. Some people think that freezing may also burst the cell walls inside the bean that hold all those essential oils and chemical compounds that give coffee it's flavor, allowing them to evaporate.

There are some experiments going on with flash freezing green coffee at below zero temps to preserve top lots for future use but it's not something that could be recreated with most home freezing equipment. If you're buying your coffee fresh roasted (from Black Dog Coffee for instance!) and using it within a couple weeks there is no need to do anything but keep as much oxygen as possible away from the beans by storing them in an airtight container.

I did some experimenting about 15 years ago with freezing roasted coffee at home and found that, to my taste, it ruined the flavor of the coffee. For that matter, I can't think of anything, be it fruit, vegetable, meat or otherwise that tastes as good after it's been frozen as it did when it was fresh.

I also run into quite a few cigar novices who think it's best to store their cigars in the fridge (because that's what they've heard). How many of us would do that?
Thanks . Ask the Dog, he has the answers.:clap: