What's new

Whoops i smoked a Gurkha legend

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey gang. Figure I'll try my hand at this review game for kicks. Here goes:

So from what I've read about the company, some asshat decided he wanted to make some fancy labels and charge way too much for his cigars (that he doesn't grow or produce). Really just making a kind of douche-stick without really knowing anything about cigars. And i think that is a totally justified reason to dislike the brand. That and the fact that there are about a bahzillion different variations in the lineup. i haven't been able to actually find out who makes them, and haven't found anything of a pedigree or what have you. Pretty much all three info I've come across just talks about his desire to market them as "exclusive."

Well, five packs were on sale recently on JR so i bought one. Legend double maduro. I ended up paying $2.54 a rope for them. And i would've been happy if I'd paid $6 a piece for them. Pretty dang tasty. Barnyardy smell, leathery chocolate with honeyed cognac flavors, that got a little herbaceous as the smoke went on—kind of minty. Easy draw, good smoke, had to touch up the wrapper twice and relight once at the last inch and a half, but very good burn otherwise. At ~$12.50 for a five pack, i wish I'd bought a couple more. Very enjoyable. I nubbed it.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I will admit to never having tried a Gurkha, although I have been gifted several, mostly due to the douchery and the stigma of the brand. Kudos to you for putting aside any bias and finding a diamond in the rough that you enjoyed. Maybe just remove the band first so you're not made fun of.;)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am glad you enjoyed it. I have never smoked a Gurkha and I am sure some of them are decent smokes. They seem to be very successful in marketing their image, several guys at my local lounge smoke them proudly. To each their own.

I imagine the Gurkha truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the hype of greatness and the ridicule of dog rockets.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pretty much what's been said about the brand is what I continue to see today. I never mind saying I've smoked a few before since I'm still new to cigars, new enough anyways that I didn't start with the names you always hear like Padron, AF, Warped, etc. Like navy said, smoke what you like. There are some good sticks they make but they have so many variations that it's hard to find the good among the flood of them.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Hey gang. Figure I'll try my hand at this review game for kicks. Here goes:

So from what I've read about the company, some asshat decided he wanted to make some fancy labels and charge way too much for his cigars (that he doesn't grow or produce). Really just making a kind of douche-stick without really knowing anything about cigars. And i think that is a totally justified reason to dislike the brand. That and the fact that there are about a bahzillion different variations in the lineup. i haven't been able to actually find out who makes them, and haven't found anything of a pedigree or what have you. Pretty much all three info I've come across just talks about his desire to market them as "exclusive."

Well, five packs were on sale recently on JR so i bought one. Legend double maduro. I ended up paying $2.54 a rope for them. And i would've been happy if I'd paid $6 a piece for them. Pretty dang tasty. Barnyardy smell, leathery chocolate with honeyed cognac flavors, that got a little herbaceous as the smoke went on—kind of minty. Easy draw, good smoke, had to touch up the wrapper twice and relight once at the last inch and a half, but very good burn otherwise. At ~$12.50 for a five pack, i wish I'd bought a couple more. Very enjoyable. I nubbed it.
I'll be the dissenting voice of snobiness and reason here. Save one of those cigars.

If you're still smoking in a year, have one and see if you still like it. I'd be willing to bet that the answer is no. Look around, there are many decent smokes you can get for the same price. I've bought La Palina, Quesada 40th, etc for under $3 and I would venture to say that you would like any of those much better, either now or soon enough.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
That's a good idea. I'll do that. Now, I gotta say, I'm wondering why you say that? Have you had these and found them lacking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me, it's about tastes and good tobacco. There are many many blends that I don't find fitting to my tastes but others do and the tobacco quality is decent. Some others, not so much. There are also great deals to be had if you know where/when to look so that you can great good cigars for the same price as crappy cigars.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
To me, it's about tastes and good tobacco. There are many many blends that I don't find fitting to my tastes but others do and the tobacco quality is decent. Some others, not so much. There are also great deals to be had if you know where/when to look so that you can great good cigars for the same price as crappy cigars.
Agreed. Taste, of course, is subjective while quality is more of a measurable variable. That was one of the things that I was concerned about going into this smoke—not knowing where/by whom these ropes are made or grown. So to find it a pleasurable, well made smoke was a treat. Having recently started smoking again (not a total newb, I was a smoker back in the 90s), there's a vast and mind-boggling assortment of stuff out there for me to try. And I'm not typically inclined to search out the most expensive and prized smoke as I am something that's enjoyable and affordable. I'd rather have a 5 pack of something good than one of something great. As time goes on, I'll get around to trying more of the more superstar type ropes. I'm enjoying the journey along the way.

You didn't really answer the question, though. I'm curious as to whether you've had one of these.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Agreed. Taste, of course, is subjective while quality is more of a measurable variable. That was one of the things that I was concerned about going into this smoke—not knowing where/by whom these ropes are made or grown. So to find it a pleasurable, well made smoke was a treat. Having recently started smoking again (not a total newb, I was a smoker back in the 90s), there's a vast and mind-boggling assortment of stuff out there for me to try. And I'm not typically inclined to search out the most expensive and prized smoke as I am something that's enjoyable and affordable. I'd rather have a 5 pack of something good than one of something great. As time goes on, I'll get around to trying more of the more superstar type ropes. I'm enjoying the journey along the way.

You didn't really answer the question, though. I'm curious as to whether you've had one of these.
The answer is yes.
I never said anything expensive or a prized smoke. All I said was "for the same price or not much more, you can get a much better cigar." If you want to smoke them, smoke them. It does not bother me.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gurkha has a tendency to taste similar to its other blends in my opinion. I had a recent blind cigar and the cold draw and the first puff reminded me of a Gurkha I had maybe 6 months previous. Turns out I was right on the maker but it was a different blend. Sofc is right though. Keep one and save it for a year. I'm doing the same and will have it sometime in April to see how much I've changed. Chances are good I will no longer like it mainly because it is a more mild blend compared to the med/fulls I've been having. But it's always about the person and their tastes. Opinions and reviews are good to give you an idea of what you might be in for but you won't know till you try it yourself.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Gurkha has a tendency to taste similar to its other blends in my opinion. I had a recent blind cigar and the cold draw and the first puff reminded me of a Gurkha I had maybe 6 months previous. Turns out I was right on the maker but it was a different blend. Sofc is right though. Keep one and save it for a year. I'm doing the same and will have it sometime in April to see how much I've changed. Chances are good I will no longer like it mainly because it is a more mild blend compared to the med/fulls I've been having. But it's always about the person and their tastes. Opinions and reviews are good to give you an idea of what you might be in for but you won't know till you try it yourself.
Chances are you won't like it cause it's crap.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'll definitely look out for the Quesada. I've been seeing a lot of the Oktoberfest being posted recently (although I can't understand why lol) and the La Palina I've not yet heard of, until now. Thanks for the recommendations.
I did not imply that those were regular prices on those. I just meant that if you wait for good deals, you can find some good ones.

http://www.cigarpage.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=quesada

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'll be the dissenting voice of snobiness and reason here. Save one of those cigars.

If you're still smoking in a year, have one and see if you still like it. I'd be willing to bet that the answer is no. Look around, there are many decent smokes you can get for the same price. I've bought La Palina, Quesada 40th, etc for under $3 and I would venture to say that you would like any of those much better, either now or soon enough.
Never one to deny a challenge, I fired up my last one of these last night.
I noticed a few changes in flavor profile. Pretty big changes, in fact. Not sure if it was me and my palate or just a change in cigar or the combination of the two, but it was a very different cigar to say the least.
Pre-light experience: Jesus this thing is a monster! I used to like the 60 rg cigars, but this just felt huge to me. Beautiful mottled dark brown coffee bean wrapper. Great maduro smell, barnyard and sweetness with a lot of cedar I don't remember (difference from being in a wino with cedar shelves rather than in a tupperdore I suspect). There's a plug an inch from the cap. Fixed it, lit it, and was surprised how different it tasted. Rather than the earthiness, leather and herbaceous flavors I remembered, this was starting out with a hickory-smoked Graham and chocolate flavor. Pretty good! First third was very enjoyable. Then it changed. Wouldn't stay lit. Touch up after touch up, and puffing too frequently really changed the flavor. Actually went pretty dead/flat in the second third with some sort of acrid, acidic feeling on the tongue. I set it down to rest with plans to relight. When I knocked the ash off prior to relighting, I saw a quarter inch diameter void of tobacco right in the center. No wonder! I was just pulling air straight down the center of the cigar without it burning the leaves surrounding the tunnel! I tried to relight and was still fighting the same problems, and the flavor changed to that of crunching on raw garlic. I didn't finish it.
Like I said, it didn't start out bad, and wonder if it might stayed that way were it not for the tunnel/construction problem. But overall, it did certainly prove that over changed quite a bit in my short time here. I wonder how I'll feel about my precious AJ Fernandez H Upmanns and RyJs in a year? Was a good experiment. Thanks for the idea @sofc

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Biggest complaint I hear about Gurka in addition to how they market their cigars is inconsistency. Since they don't build their own they don't have as much control over the final product. When I met the factory rep at a local event he mentioned their plans to change that by building some brands in house in a new factory. So it remains to be seen how successful the changes are.

I'm curious how the additional age affected the burn of the cigar? I believe a bad burn in a cigar can really throw the flavors out of wack in any brand. Maybe more so with Gurka!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
When I met the factory rep at a local event he mentioned their plans to change that by building some brands in house in a new factory. So it remains to be seen how successful the changes are.
This feels like smashing something that's already broken...