What's new

Who's Looking to Try Double Edge Razors?

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Been shaving that way for years. Recently made the jump to straight razor (only on the weekend when I have time). Someone should hop into this trap. It'll change your life (or at least your morning routine).

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I roll with a shick injector and a Parker butterfly DE with Israeli Persona blades.

With the injector, I can shave with water alone. I use Taylor of old Bond Street soap with the Parker. The soaping and DE adds MAYBE ten minutes to my morning routine. Nothing stupid-crazy.

I think @Mikenice81 signed up for this. I've got plenty of blades to throw at him if someone has a handle... just sayin'

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I roll with a shick injector and a Parker butterfly DE with Israeli Persona blades.

With the injector, I can shave with water alone. I use Taylor of old Bond Street soap with the Parker. The soaping and DE adds MAYBE ten minutes to my morning routine. Nothing stupid-crazy.
I've only briefly heard about injector razors, so I'm curious as to how you can shave with just water?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've only briefly heard about injector razors, so I'm curious as to how you can shave with just water?
I just can. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you have natural moist skin. I can DE shave with just water, too, but get slightly irritated. The injector has a smaller "window" with an aggressive angle so you either are, or are not, cutting hair with a pass. This means I'm less likely to cut myself, don't have to worry about technique, and can do a quick'n'dirty shave if I need to, but still out perform a disposable/cartridge.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I learned how to shave almost 40 years ago with one of my dad's old DE razors. I switched over to a Norelco electric while I was in high school and used that until I was in my early 30's at which point I decided to move to a cartridge style razor because I wanted a nice close shave. About 15 years ago I started going "full shave" on my head and have been very happy with my cartridge. I have gotten in the habit of patting them off on my towel after I am done shaving so generally a cartridge lasts me 3-4 months.

Other than saving money is there some advantage to switching to a DE razor? The reason that I ask is that right now I don't think that I'm spending a lot of money on cartridges.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I learned how to shave almost 40 years ago with one of my dad's old DE razors. I switched over to a Norelco electric while I was in high school and used that until I was in my early 30's at which point I decided to move to a cartridge style razor because I wanted a nice close shave. About 15 years ago I started going "full shave" on my head and have been very happy with my cartridge. I have gotten in the habit of patting them off on my towel after I am done shaving so generally a cartridge lasts me 3-4 months.

Other than saving money is there some advantage to switching to a DE razor? The reason that I ask is that right now I don't think that I'm not spending a lot of money on cartridges.
You'll save money for about 2.4 months, then you realize there's more traditional wet shaving supplies out there than there are cigars to try! Advantages? Eventually, most guys end up getting closer shaves with less irritation. The nearly endless options keep things interesting, kind of like picking out a pipe and tobacco combo for a relaxing evening smoke. For guys who have went from carts and cans of foam to safety or straight razors, soaps/creams and brushes it takes a daily chore and turns it more into a hobby. Beleive it or not, a nice shave with quality products can be every bit as relaxing as enjoying a good smoke. Just not as much alcohol should mix with razors as with tobacco.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been thinking about trying it for a while. I would like less irritation. I've battled razor bumps my whole shaving life below the corners of my mouth and on my neck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried for about six months and could never get over irritation. Basic Lord handle and feather blades. Used proraso/cella soaps, still couldnt get past burn and bumps.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was one of those kids with a mustache since elementary school and a beard early in high school. I grew my first beard at 14 because I hated shaving. My best friend's father was the last straight razor barber in my hometown, and out of that, I was always curious about straight razors. At 20, I asked him to set me up with a straight razor. I still wear a beard, but shave my neck, and trim along my cheeks, and only shave 2 or 3 times a week. So I've been using a straight razor for 35 years, or so. I've tried other options a few times, but they all caused more pimples and ingrown hairs than a straight razor. My younger son inherited my beard, maybe even heavier. He knew my experiences, and eventually came to me to inquire about a straight razor. I recommended he try a DE first. He's been using one for a couple years now, with very good results. In addition, truth be told, it's more fun.
On an interesting side-note, in my younger days, upon learning that I was proficient with a straight razor, I've had more than one adventurous young lady ask me to shave them with it! (And I'm not talking mustache.) I never charged a fee, but a generous tip always seemed to follow.