What's new

Why do people spend so much time arguing about CC's

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Last weekend I was over at this aquentences little gift shop, he has a nice small Cigar selection of Non-CC's, great coffee, and a wonderful pation out back for Cigar smoking.

Must have been 8 - 10 of us talking about Cigars, subject change to Cubans'. This guy who is a firefight - paramedic in the Valley came to one simple conclusion that the reason Cubans will alway be different is as simple as. The soil in Cuba is directed then the DR, Hondouras, or any other place that grows tobacco.

Like I said the guy is a paramedic - firefighter, apprently working on his PHd. So I thought to myself. Maybe he has said something that make total sense, it the Dirt or Soil deepening upon what you call it.

Being fair, other ideas.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think you are going to get other ideas, the soil the tobacco is being grown in is the only variable between Cuban cigars and non-cubans. Fermenting and aging techniques, rolling methods are all the same (quality differs in some cases among manufacturers but not technique). I am not aware of any alternative theories, it would be interesting to hear some though.

To put it another way, almost everything about the manufacture of Cuban cigars has been imported out of the country. The only thing that hasn't (and can't be) is the country itself.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Different palates all around. People will always have different views on cigars fro different regions. There is no universal palate.

I for one love CCs more than most non cubans. Specially over CBL ... CBL is the most disgusting trash out there, IMO. Others love CBL.

I can see how soil plays a big role... but theres definitely more to it. Im sure soil composition in Cuba, DR, Nica, etc are all different. Different amounts of rain, sun shine etc.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well the other thing the guy with the education said was that made totally sense was, crop differ from year to year with weather. Plus there are year farmed take in pocket when Mother Nature unleashes her fury on their crops. Hurricanes are terrible for farmers.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Well the other thing the guy with the education said was that made totally sense was, crop differ from year to year with weather. Plus there are year farmed take in pocket when Mother Nature unleashes her fury on their crops. Hurricanes are terrible for farmers.
Also, farming practices.

A farm in Nicaragua might have a large budget for a season of tobacco.

A family farm in Cuba might not have the same budget.

Different ways of planting and cultivating wether it be big mechanical rigs vs complete manual labor.

Is a farm in Nica focusing on tobacco yields to keep up with the demands ...

Is a farmer in Cuba giving the land lots of love in order to make yield enough to survive and feed their family...

You feel me Bruce?

Either way, I've always fancied Cuban tobacco. :)

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
the seed is different too.
several experimental varieties were grown and what we get now was determined to be best overall for use making cigars.
Best overall does not absolutely mean best flavor or aroma.
This type of tobacco is also picked for yield, resistance to drought , mold, insects, and so on.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
the seed is different too.
several experimental varieties were grown and what we get now was determined to be best overall for use making cigars.
Best overall does not absolutely mean best flavor or aroma.
This type of tobacco is also picked for yield, resistance to drought , mold, insects, and so on.
How are the seeds different from Nica to Cuba? I ask that due to so many lines using "cuban seed" tobacco in their marketing ads.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Iit a well know fact that many in the Cigar business in Cuba when Castro came to power, fled the island nation for a new life, and took seed, knowledge of Tabacco growling to other places.

IMHO this was not just a market gimmick, it was real truth.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
They may have started with the same seeds, but as Tom said, going down the line some will select for flavor, while others will select for size, and other features. It's why a San marzano is far tastier than a Roma.
Another factor is if they are fertilizing with manure rather than granular fertilizer, you will get a tastier product.
Soil composition is probably first, followed by seed selection, fertilization, and techniques and methods lastly.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
They may have started with the same seeds, but going down the line some will select for flavor, while others will select for size, and other features. It's why a San marzano is far tastier than a Roma.
Another factor is if they are fertilizing with manure rather than granular fertilizer, you will get a tastier product.
Soil composition is probably first, followed by seed selection, fertilization, and techniques and methods lastly.

Cuba doesn't have to deal with our Big Brother - The Govenment of the USA, and the FDA.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Indeed. But completely irrelevant in this discussion. They do have to deal with all kinds of absurdities coming out of a communist government.

Think you missed my point the people we elect to represent use in Washington make some crazy rules, and I often wonder who they actually represent their voters. Or the people called lobbiests, P.A.C., and special Intrests who gift our elected officials million of dollar annually to influence our representatives.

I like to refere to these fold as the 4th., unofficial house of government that our founding fathers did not plan for when they designed our system of government.

This same nonsense happen locally in your city, town county, and state. People lobbying for what they want with big bucks.

We had a Congressman recently resign from the House of Representatives who representaterepresent my Congressional District. Last week was a primary election. About twelve want the two year job. Pays under 200k/year. Money spend chase the jobs was millions, and millions. Totally crazy.