What's new

Why do YOU buy & restore Estate Pipes?

Why do YOU buy and restore Estate Pipes

• For the love of pipes (to keep vintage pipes from the trash)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • For your collection (just a hobby)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To resell (who doesn't like a little extra money?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend brought up an idea and I thought Id ask yall. I know it can potentially be a great way to expand a collection inexpensively, as well as possibly be a source of side income.
Of you who buy and restore/refresh Estate Pipes, why do you do it?

And (not in the polls) what do you do if you need to replace a stem?
What does your "tool belt" consist of? (Vodka, salt, reamers, pipe cleaners, chemicals, stains, etc)

I'd love to know what your opinions are!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I couldn't really vote because it is all those options for me. Every time I buy my personal collection grows. There are always several pipes I want to keep. I love pipes and I think it is amazing to take something that may otherwise be discarded and give it new life. The transformations can be amazing. I'm still learning. I like to resell so I can invest that money back into buying more. For me it's a cycle that keeps itself going.

You can have stems made. I don't make them but have several friends who do. You can also find various websites that have stems available. I get extra stems in lots and keep them in case I need them in the future.

My kit is growing constantly as I learn more and more. Here is a list of what I have:
Powder Oxyclean
Everclear
Kosher Salt
Magic Erasers
Decatur Briar Fresh
Pipe cleaners including various sizes and bristled
Shank brushes
Various reamers
Sand paper and micromesh pads
Various nail files and nail buffing sticks
Flitz Polish
Decatur No Ox
Decatur Shine Bright
Decatur no buff wax
Tripoli
White Diamond
Carnuba Wax
Murphy's Oil Soap
Brasso
Sterling silver cloth
Q Tips
Petroleum Jelly
Bench Buffer and Buffs for each compound
Dremel
Microfiber cloth
Contact Cement
Soon I will have Fiebings Leather Dye in various colors. I also need to add black super glue for stem repair.

Last edited:

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That thread is kinda what prompted me. I wanted to see what all went into it in case I bought a few (and to go over my current ones) and did a video search and there seemed to be a lot of people doing it. Some just for personal collections and others for money, but it seemed the majority would restore all they could, smoke them, keep the enjoyable ones and sell the rest.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0