What's new

Whytner CHC-120S

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother has a Whytner CHC-120S cooling humidor and it is not holding humidity. I emptied it out (approx. 70 cigars) and added 2 Boveda packs (72) and the highest the humidity would get is 59%. This is after letting it run a full day. I then removed all shelving with no change. I simply unplugged the unit and let it sit for a couple of hours. The humidity rose to 85%. I then plugged the unit back in and within an hour or two, the humidity dropped again to 59%. The cooling is working and it has a few condensation drops in the back well. Has anyone seen this problem when the cooling is on it sucks all the humidity out? Also I tried to see if I can locate a control board for it but the site I found one on is temporarily out.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
that cooling plate will condense and remove moisture. Try a small slot fan or battery powered fan to blow air on the cold plate and prevent condensation. If you have moisture pooling in the bottom of the unit try one of those sports cooling rags. Let it wick up the pooled water and evaporate it back into the system. You mentioned a one day time period in one of your attempts, anytime you make changes in this system remember you will need days/weeks to stabilize.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It takes more boveda. I have an Audew 300. On that model and many others there’s a little plug in the bottom back of the unit. I keep mine plugged off.

I unplug mine and leave it unplugged holds great then. When the heat of summer rolls around I plug it back in. I don’t worry too much about temperature. As long as cigars avoid extreme changes I don’t think it effects much. Just my experience with those type wineadors or cooled humidors.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t worry too much about temperature. As long as cigars avoid extreme changes I don’t think it effects much. Just my experience with those type wineadors or cooled humidors.
Boveda also claims the temperature is irrelevant when using their products since the packs will take up or release moisture as needed with fluctuations in temp. I’m sure this only applies to reasonable temperatures and not garage/shop fluctuations of 40+ degrees a day.

I know there are numerous folks here with very expensive collections and a lot of experience who feel differently, but it’s one of their selling points.

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree about not enough boveda. I have the same humi, and use 8 of the big boveda in there. Rock solid, and haven’t messed with it in over a year

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I add some more Boveda packs and monito it. I will slowly add cigars after a few days of stability.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also add a cooling rag to trap some of the moisture and evaporate it back into the system. - Thanks