What's new

Winchester Model 62-A

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I’ve got the Win 1890 version (essentially the same gun.. just a little bit earlier make) that I’m currently rebuilding... fun little rifle..

What caliber is yours? Depending on the yer of manufacture (pretty easy to find out by running the serial number), condition of your gun, and the caliber, some of the old “gallery guns” can be worth a good bit of money..

Mine is a .22 long (not long rifle)...

I’d love to get my paws on one in .22 short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
It's .22 as well, I looked it up years ago, I want to say it was mid to late '40's. It takes either long or short. It really is a fun rifle to go plinking with! I've put thousands of rounds through it, when I was in school you could get a brick of 550 .22 rounds for $15... Damn i miss those days!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
If its a .22LR you should be able to shoot any .22 rimfire out of it (.22LR, .22L, or .22S).. it might have a little difficulty feeding the shorter cartridges.. but other than that it should be fine..

The challenge with my .22 Long is that it can only fire .22L... .22LR wont fit in the chamber.. so ammo is hard to come by (not impossible.. but I cant just run down to Wal-Mart and pick up a box)..

But, generally speaking the .22L and .22S guns have a little bit higher value than the .22LR guns.. because they were made in smaller numbers and are a little more rare/hard to find..

I came across mine in a weird way.. My father in law was an executive with an agriculture firm before he retired.. he spent a lot of time on the road visiting with farmers (customers).. about 25 years ago he was in an old barn on one of his customers properties that was about to get torn down and he noticed an old oily burlap bag in the corner and asked about it.. The customer had just bought the farm and had no idea what it was..

So they opened it up, and found the old 1890 Winchester in the bag.. My father in law guesses that the gun had literally been in that barn for decades and had just been forgotten about..

The farmer knew my FIL was a "gun guy" and gave him the rifle... All of the wood was completely rotten.. the entire gun was covered in surface rust (thankfully no pitting or serious rust though).. the takedown screw was missing, etc.. he planned on "fixing" it for 20 years.. and never got around to it.. It just sat in a gun case in his closet...

I've been building and refurbishing guns most of my life... about 5 years ago my FIL brought the gun out of the closet and showed it to me (I had no idea he had it or what the story was behind it) and asked me if I thought I could get it running again... I agreed to give it a try..

It doesnt run perfectly (I still need to find a replacement hammer spring and a couple of other parts that are pretty worn out on the gun).. but it does shoot now.. I replaced all of the wood, knocked all the rust off and restored the finish.. found an original take down screw.. replaced a few worn internals with factory original parts as I have been able to find them, etc..

I took it back to him in barely running condition, but looking decent (new wood, new finish, etc) a few months after he asked me to try to fix it... he took it out in the yard and ran about 10 rounds through it.. told me thank you.. then handed me the gun back and told me "its yours"...

Its actually one of my most prized guns in the safe now (even though I still have a bit of work to do on it)...

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
That's an awesome story! Do you have pics posted? I'd love to see it! And I can say that knuckle buster hammer comes by its name justly... Only took once though!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
These are cool little guns. I saw one locally that I would have bought if it hadn't been priced so high. If I remember correctly it loaded through the butt stock or something weird.