What's new

Wine Cooler Condensation Problems?

Do you have condensation problems in your wine cooler?

• My cooler makes a LOT of condensation.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • My cooler makes SOME condensation.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • My cooler makes very little condensation.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • My cooler makes NO condensation.

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters
Rating - 98%
61   1   1
So, Darb21,

Are you asking for a plug because your unit is not plugged? As was stated earlier, if you are in a humid environment, your open plug will create a place for that humidity to come into your unit.

I've used a couple of these myself, and helped countless brothers to set them up.

Step one is plug your drain hole (so you create a sealed environment) then see how she does.

I would wager that many more brothers are running wineadors without ETC compared to those WITH ETC.

I know i am late to the party on this thread, but starting with the basics and maybe spending 50 cents instead of 70 dollars is how I would approach this one.

best of luck brother.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi Mike-

So just to recap-

I have an new cooler, the Edgestar 28 bottle... the only things in it are a glass dish with some poly-absorbent crystals and a hygrometer/thermometer and the OEM wire racks. Thats it. The air in the room where it is stored is at 75*, 42% RH... so the issue isn't that its too humid in the house. I have plugged the drain hole to see what happens, but I'm expecting a bunch of water to begin pooling on the floor of the unit... :noemotion

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, not so much. I did plug the drain, and As I expected, it did begin to create condensation.... although I will say its not making near as much as that other cooler I have makes, so thats a positive. I've got about a pound of beads that are catching the condensation... I haven't put a whole bunch of time into figuring it out yet... been to busy with work, company, and our 6 week old son.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Read through the wine cooler 101 thread if you havent. Some things you may need to look into:

Plug drain (Any air entering through a crack or hole WILL create condensation in the warmer months)

Get an ETC so the cooler is not running all the time. With a room at 75* and a preferred 65* inside the cooler, I would assume the cooler should run for 2-3 minutes maybe 3-4 times an hour. This varies obviously (the amount of times it is opened etc.) but this is generally the amount of time mine runs.

Add more beads. You can never have enough beads. Right now I have 1.5 lbs of Shilala beads (1lb on top, .5 lbs on bottom) .5lbs of heartfelt beads against the back wall where the condensation drips down to soak it up, and the heartfelt bead sheet cut and attached to the back wall to catch drips.
Damn Justin... I wish I could personally check out your wine cooler. I've been entertaining this cooler idea for some time but It would only be for my better stuff and long storage so I am just afraid I'd F it up!

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I said none because for the last couple months it has produced virtually nothing in the way of condensation.

Initially when getting everything set up, it did produce a little condensation which I had draining into a catch cup that I would empty periodically, but that only lasted while I had a container of DW in the unit trying to get things up and running. Once I took that out and everything stabilized, I havn't had to empty the catch again...bone dry everytime I check it.

I'm running my unit with a Ranco ETC and have 1.5 lbs of Shilala beads (I'm gonna add a bit more beads when I get my trays in from Chasidor...Probably a small pillow in each tray).

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So are you still having problems with the humidity?
You are right with the dew point situation btw. When the wet-bulb temp reaches the same as the dry bulb, then you get condensation.
You might have a problem with sealing the unit due to the fact that the cooling section runs so long for so many times in a day. The longer it runs, the more moisture it removes, obviously, but if the temp. control is f-d, it could be running way too long. Plugging that drain, and any other problematic opening to outside, would be the best thing to do right off the hop.
Thermo-electric units should technically be a lot better for condensation problems than units that move air, you should not be having that much of a problem in there.
How about an update to let us know how you are doing.