What's new

Wine Cooler Temp controller

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I finally listened to what I'd been told months ago and bought an external temp controller for my wine cooler. This is not where I ordered it, but this is the same thing at the same price:

http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=459

Prior to adding this my temps were all over the scale. I'm sure the Florida heat was partially the cause, but now that it is cooler, they still varied a lot.

Now, with the controller in place my temps vary beween 65 and 70 degrees, holding most of the time at 70. My Oasis and beads combo keeps the humidity in the high 60's.

So, I finally got things settled down and working well. All I needed to do was pay attention to all the help offered by kind brothers.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yep, I have the digital but they all require one for stability...remember in the future, listen to us old guys...we know best! :rofl:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I just bought a wine cooler this weekend, and a temp controller is next on my list of things to buy.

I have looked that that very controller...glad to know it's working for you. I might have to order one myself.

Thanks for the timely info.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
OK, something you young wippersnappers need to know about wine coolers. The humidity will drop and rise if your sensor is out in the open. It's not hurting a thing, just telling you what is happening. If you are like me and are a bit of a "terrier" just put the sensor inside a box. That's where your smokes are anyway and it will hardly move there.

I use a digital device I got at http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4100 I found it gives a little more precise control because of my obsession with the damn thing!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Randy, for me, I do not seeing the RH drop that low (50's RH) and then hope the 65% beads get the RH levels back up to 63-65% before the RH drops down again. I ended up wetting the beads 2-3 times a week cause they would dry out that fast. When this happens a lot, there is some average RH in the upper 50s/very low 60s that I was not comfortable with.

With an Oasis in there, my RH hardly ever moves at all. I hated to see the RH bounce when I opened the door (almost daily). During the summer months when the room gets warm, the cooler ran quite a bit to stay cool. This also resulted in RH bounce and large drops before the Oasis.

The new guys should make sure the RH is good and your happy with the temp as well before deciding to put the hygrometer inside a cigar box and checking it less often. Err on the side of cautious and check things more often till you get your wine cooler running smooth, just don't obsess over it.