What's new

Wine Coolers, which one should I use?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make a wine cooler humidor to put the cigars I want to age long term. I was wondering which thermoelectric wine cooler I should buy. Also, if I decide to go the non-thermoelectric route, what should I look for and how do I keep my cigars from drying out? I would be willing to sacrifice space for the thermoelectric cooler if it is much easier to maintain. Should I use a cigar oasis inside of the cooler, beads, or both? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.detailmain/itemID.10197/itemType.PRODUCT/iProductID.10197/qx/shopping/product/EWC28.htm

I bought this one from these guys, but thru them on Ebay as a scratch and dent model. Works like a champ. I tried 1 pound of 65% rh beads, but would not keep rh high enough when it runs lots cause of the summer heat. I added an Oasis basic model 2 weeks ago. Now hold rh like a champ. PM me for more details. I also have some custom Spanish cedar shelves I would send as a trade as well. Good luck brother.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a Haier wine cooler...love it! I have a Cigar Oasis and some beads to add to the stability, use 2 Oust fans for added light circulation, and have a digital temp controller from www.midwestsupplies.com

I don't have any problems or worries...very simple, and holds lots of boxes comfortably.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
is there a way by looking in or at the back of the cooler and tell if its thermoelectric?? at a local Menards store they have a couple of Haier coolers but nowhere in the manual or the display does it say if it is. when i asked the guy in the appliance dept. about it, he said he didnt know either. :scratchhe

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Lots of info in Randys thread. Also, JWrussel and the steelman have one and can answer some questions for you. So make sure you bug them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.detailmain/itemID.10197/itemType.PRODUCT/iProductID.10197/qx/shopping/product/EWC28.htm

I bought this one from these guys, but thru them on Ebay as a scratch and dent model. Works like a champ. I tried 1 pound of 65% rh beads, but would not keep rh high enough when it runs lots cause of the summer heat. I added an Oasis basic model 2 weeks ago. Now hold rh like a champ. PM me for more details. I also have some custom Spanish cedar shelves I would send as a trade as well. Good luck brother.

I have a cooler just like the one in the above link......a few days ago I was having a problem with the rh level getting to high so I turned my fan on the lowest setting when I did this my temp dorped alot, so I turned the light on to see if this would control my temp but at the same time lower my rh....well that put my temp in check but my rh level is still a little high.......Any sugestions!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Haier if you don't go Thermo-Electric. Adjustable to 65 degrees and I've had no problems with cigars drying out by any means.

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haier up and running strong for over 2 years now. Just add beads and 2-3 oust fans and your in motion to enjoy fantastic kept cigars at home.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I have a cooler just like the one in the above link......a few days ago I was having a problem with the rh level getting to high so I turned my fan on the lowest setting when I did this my temp dorped alot, so I turned the light on to see if this would control my temp but at the same time lower my rh....well that put my temp in check but my rh level is still a little high.......Any sugestions!!!
The single biggest problem I had was the unit wanted to run too cold all the time. These units the fan did seem to run all the time. Running all the time to keep cold was not a problem, taking all the RH was the problem it caused, opposite problem as yours for some reason. I went and bought this:http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm I set the controller to turn on at 70 degrees and turn off 4 degrees cooler. My shelves stay pretty close to 68 degrees and 63-64% RH all the time now.

To keep my RH in balance, I started with 1lb of 65% beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com placing 1/2 on the bottom and 1/2 on the top shelf. They were not able to keep up with the RH being drawn out by the fan. So I added a shot glass half full of distilled water and a couple small strips of the green floral foam. Was better, but had to add water a couple times a week. I ended up getting a Cigar Oasis www.cigaroasis.com . This solved everything. I keep the Oasis on the bottom shelf and put all the beads on the middle shelf up front as the cool air comes in from the rear and most RH loss is from this area.

Trial and error over several months worked for me. Just take things slow and stay on top of things until you get your unit working perfect in your environment.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The single biggest problem I had was the unit wanted to run too cold all the time. These units the fan did seem to run all the time. Running all the time to keep cold was not a problem, taking all the RH was the problem it caused, opposite problem as yours for some reason. I went and bought this:http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm I set the controller to turn on at 70 degrees and turn off 4 degrees cooler. My shelves stay pretty close to 68 degrees and 63-64% RH all the time now.

To keep my RH in balance, I started with 1lb of 65% beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com placing 1/2 on the bottom and 1/2 on the top shelf. They were not able to keep up with the RH being drawn out by the fan. So I added a shot glass half full of distilled water and a couple small strips of the green floral foam. Was better, but had to add water a couple times a week. I ended up getting a Cigar Oasis www.cigaroasis.com . This solved everything. I keep the Oasis on the bottom shelf and put all the beads on the middle shelf up front as the cool air comes in from the rear and most RH loss is from this area.

Trial and error over several months worked for me. Just take things slow and stay on top of things until you get your unit working perfect in your environment.

Good luck.

Great tips thanks alot :clap:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info too. I just ordered a cooler off of ebay; a 28 bottle thermoelectric and some 70% beads from Heartfelt.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
here is one for you:

75-bottle capacity for storing all your favorite wines

Adjustable electronic LED thermostat lets you find the temperature that is appropriate for your wines (42.8 to 57.2°F)

Built-in humidity reservoirs keeps moisture in the unit to prevent the corks from drying out and to preserve the wine

Interior display light allows you to find bottles easily and shows off your collection

8 full-width slide-out wood shelves

Tempered-glass door with attractive platinum-color door trim

Reversible door hinge allows you to open the door on the left or right, according to your needs

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
That looks like a Danby (model DWC612BLP) which, if that's the case, is *NOT* a thermoelectric wine cooler.

Not that you absolutely HAVE to have a thermoelectric unit to store cigars, but it seems to be preferable, so that sort of info should be pointed out.