What's new

Wine slope ...

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Well, living in northern CA, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for good wine ... but I never really knew that much about it. Took a few trips to Napa and Sonoma over the years and bought a few bottles here and there.

The past 18 months though, I've really taken the dive. During trips to Stockton, Livermore and Palm Springs this year, I deliberately planned ways to fit in tours of local wineries ... and there are literally hundreds scattered all over this state.

Wine tasting has been fun - mostly exploring what tastes good to me. But now I've started looking and somewhat following .................... WINE RATINGS :eyequiver :sarcastic
But, being a cigar smoker for these many years, I can still view many of these with a jaded eye. Still, I've found significant positive differences in wines with low scores (Parker) and those with higher ones. But I'm taking it slow by only buying 1 or 2 bottles of a certain wine.

But even at that pace, I've managed to accumulate over 150 bottles already. Mostly California brands, with a growing percentage of French, Italian, Spanish, Australian and Washington brands too. I also recently purchased a used 60 bottle Vinotemp and keep looking at Ebay and Craigslist for others at good prices.

I find it odd that I can't snow ski at all ... but have no trouble with these slopes.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have been getting into wine myself. The thing that sucks about Utah, is I can't buy any wine online, it's illegal to ship it here from out of state. My wine tasting is limited to whatever the liquor stores stock, they are all state owned and run. Some have decent selections, others plain suck. There are only about 4 or 5 stores in the entire state that have a decent selection.

My biggest problem though, is the cost. Buying good wine and good cigars is an expensive habit! While I've been stocking up on cigars, I've been drinking my wine stash. I have quite a cigar collection now so hopefully I can build my wine reserves back up. It's going to be a slow process building up a healthy supply of both, but in 10+ years, the rewards will be worth it

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've been wanting to get into wine....but as you confirmed....I'm not sure I want to go down that slope right now.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
love the vino!! i'm really enjoying italian wines lately!! a trip to Napa would be great!! certainly on my short list...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
We just did a weekend of tasting in the Temecula area, and had a great time. Tastings were inexpensive and the wine was great. Most had biig outdoor tasting areas so i paired a couple of cigars with some wine and sat back and let the kids run all over the place. One place even has a barn converted into aplay area with Disney movies projected on the wall. We were with a group of parents and toook a big limo bus to five wineries on both sat and sun. Kids were welcom everywhere. Great time.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Which wineries did you visit in Temecula? I was there for the first time in Sept and went to Mt. Palomar, Wiens Family Cellars, Wilson Creek and Thornton. I basically enjoyed them in that order. Wilson Creek was a zoo with people and Thornton did not seem very friendly + the tastings were over-priced ( $10 for 4 wines ... vs $14 for 10 premium wines at Mt. Palomar ).

Did any of the wineries sustain any damage from the fires?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
We have friends who live 5 minutes down the road and said most of the wineries were good to go, but may have lost a liitle of thier crops, but I don't think there was any major devestation, but I'm not positive. We enjoyed Mt Palomar the best for the value, and LongShadow Ranch was excellent for famlies with the barn I spoke of earlier. I believe we went to some of the others you mentioned, but since we had a driver, I was was drinking vino all day. So between my buzz and running/stumbling after my kids I would have to look back at brocures to see exactly which ones we visited. I think 9 or 10 over the 2 days. Our friends are members at LongShadow Ranch and just sent us some White Merlot. II'm not much of a Merlot drinker or White drinker, but this was pretty good. I was also surprised to see the two words used together in a wine title. Here is the link

http://www.longshadowranchwinery.com/store/index.php?env=-in-commerce/product/details:m3--1-2-s:p-5----

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
my lady belongs to a couple winery clubs in temecula,,, good stuff!! maurice carrie and south coast. love em both!! we usually stay the night at the embassy suites. some of the best champagne is the almond champagne from wilson creek!!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
You Cali guys have it made!
With the exception of high taxes, astronomical housing prices, large illegal immigrant population, mostly left wing politicians, roads that are falling apart, idiot drivers (and lots of them), overflowing prisons and lousy sports teams (lately) ... this is almost paradise. :agreesmil