What's new

Wineador, beads, and questions...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,
Little background--I have been smoking cigars for the past few years. I currently have two desktop humidors that I have maintained with Heartfelt beads for years. I am absolutely sold on them.

I have decided to upgrade my storage to a wineador. My wife would prefer to keep the house at 74-75 degrees (we live in Oklahoma) to keep the electric bill at a reasonable price. I gave decided to go with a wineador to keep my sticks at a better temp. I am in the research phase and have some questions.
I know a lot of bead fans use either Heartfelt beads OR HCM beads for their wineadors. Has anyone used both? If so, how does the combo work out? I am fully aware that they should not be mixed in the same container, the only way my cigars are catching fire is if they are being smoked.

I'm curious as to how they work in conjunction. Would the Heartfelt beads keep the HCM beads working well? I know they will both have to be at 65%, which is my preferred RH. I do realize that the Heartfelt beads will need upkeep, I am fine with this.
I plan on the wineador being utilized primary for long term aging. I am debating on getting into rolling my own cigars eventually, once dried and ready for aging, they will spend their lives in the wineador.

Thanks for any information and insight provided.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I use 65% HF beads (2#) and Mimi Silica Crystals Kitty Litter in my 170 bottle wineador with excellent results. I bought the Mimi's at Walmart for less than $5 for a 4# bag. It's held very solid for almost 3 years.
I live in Joplin, so our weather is very similar to yours. We keep our house at 73-74 year round and I don't use the cooling of my unit. I just freeze my cigars for 72 hours before they join the general population. This is to kill any beetle eggs that may be dormant in the cigar. Kitty Litter, freezing and not using the cooling in the unit is a very common practice with wineador owners. Cheap and simple.