What's new

Wineador humidity issues

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm having some issues with the humidity levels in my wineador. I generally use a Cigar Oasis, and it's been rock solid for the past two years or so. Recently, however, my humidity has been hovering around 75%. I turned the Oasis down...no change in humidity. So, I went ahead and removed it altogether to see what would happen. Same thing, no change in humidity. Humidity in my house is generally around 45%. I have zero sources of humidity in my wineador, and it will drop if I leave it open, but will always get back up to around 75%. Hoping someone might be able to help me, as this is driving me insane!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You hygrometer may be reading high, or allow the humidor to dry out at room humidity and see if you get a change

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yea, I forgot to add that part: my hydrometer was calibrated not that long ago. I have two sensors running off one system. One is in my wineador, and the other is in my tupperdor. My tupperdor has quite a few Bovedas in it, and is rock solid at 67%.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It will have to drop eventually if you leave it open to room air? No way it will stay at 75 when the room is in 40s. Leave the door open and see if it changes, it has to change eventually. If not you know where to look. Good luck, don't you love electronics

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Man, that's strange. What about a 2nd hydro? I can't get past the fact that the humidity in the wineador has to drop as the cigars dry out Maybe swap sensors between coolidor and wineador?

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
it goes back up because the cigars retain humidity, as do any cedar shelves/drawers/cigar boxes.
when you open the door, the "free" humidity (in the air) will escape quickly. when you close the door, the above items will release humidity to bring the air humidity up, and it will stop rising once homeostasis is reached.
think of it this way... if you put water into a jar and seal the lid, the water (humidity) has nowhere to go. it cannot evaporate, so the water level stays where it is. once you open up the jar, the water can evaporate/escape if given enough time.

you can introduce something that has very low humidity (such as dry KL). this will suck up humidity in the air, and the cigars/boxes/shelves will continually release humidity until all things (KL, your items, and the air inside) all have the same Rh
likewise, you could open the door for a while in order for the humidity in the boxes/shelves/drawers/cigars to be released. something like 30 minutes open, close and check after an hour... repeat until you get it just right, goldilocks.

it's science!
- tad

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What tad said..
I'd just toss a couple boveda packs in there to absorb any excess humidity.. I originally started using them for a rh "ceiling" while paired with beads. It worked great, but they quickly turned into my sole method of humidification.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'd pull the Bodevas and just drop a tray of Silica CL in there for a bit. Nothing brings you to 65 like the good ol' Meow Mix !
Then, add the Bodeva after a week of 65% humidity ( or lower readings under 65% arrive.)

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've been thinking about ditching the Cigar Oasis anyway...this might be the time to do it. I'll have to pick up some Boveda and give it a shot. I left it open for a while before, and made sure to close it before I left for work. I'll check again once I get home. Thanks for the help guys! Wasn't sure if it was possible for all of the cigars in my wineador to bring the humidity up that much.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
(in before everyone and their mother starts tagging me.)

Bovedas work fine. KL works fine. If your wineador has no humidification system and house humidity is 45 degrees, it's hard to believe that just the cigar humidity is keeping it at 75. If that was doable scientifically, why would we need any humidification anything after the cigars were at the proper humidity?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0

Bovedas work fine. KL works fine. If your wineador has no humidification system and house humidity is 45 degrees, it's hard to believe that just the cigar humidity is keeping it at 75. If that was doable scientifically, why would we need any humidification anything after the cigars were at the proper humidity?
@sofc

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Don't expect changes in humidity to happen overnight. If your oasis over-humidifier everything (sounds like it to me) expect it to take a week or two to get right once you've got something in there to regulate it. Don't force it or you might find yourself having swung too far the other direction.

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

That's exactly why I'm confused. What I'll probably do, is swap the sensors from my wineador and tupperdor and see what happens.

Don't expect changes in humidity to happen overnight. If your oasis over-humidifier everything (sounds like it to me) expect it to take a week or two to get right once you've got something in there to regulate it. Don't force it or you might find yourself having swung too far the other direction.
I've had the Oasis unplugged for about two weeks now. Finally I took it out altogether the other night.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep. If your sensor has a wire it could be getting pinched. I have had hygros work fine at lower humidity but they kind of go into la la land when the readings get high