What's new

Wineador noob questions

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I just set up my new wineador (unplugged) and I’ve got a couple rookie questions... should I seal off the the exhaust fan vent? If so would some taped up plastic wrap do the trick? Also what’s the deal with people using kitty litter... are they literally putting litter in a cup and occasionally spraying it with DW?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So I just set up my new wineador
Congrats but where are the pics?

should I seal off the the exhaust fan vent?
If the exhaust fan allows for the relevant humidity inside your winedor to be exposed to outside conditions then yes, you should seal it.

If so would some taped up plastic wrap do the trick?
Probably

Also what’s the deal with people using kitty litter... are they literally putting litter in a cup and occasionally spraying it with DW?
KL is a cost-effective way to control the humidity levels within your winedor/cabinet/humidor/coolidor/etc. Just make sure you are using UNSCENTED KL. And yes, people are spraying it with DW as it's needed. There are hundreds of threads on here that go into the pros/cons of using KL versus using Heartfelt Beads. From personal experience, Beads take up less room than KL but just like smoking preferences go: to each their own.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Congrats but where are the pics?

If the exhaust fan allows for the relevant humidity inside your winedor to be exposed to outside conditions then yes, you should seal it.

Probably

KL is a cost-effective way to control the humidity levels within your winedor/cabinet/humidor/coolidor/etc. Just make sure you are using UNSCENTED KL. And yes, people are spraying it with DW as it's needed. There are hundreds of threads on here that go into the pros/cons of using KL versus using Heartfelt Beads. From personal experience, Beads take up less room than KL but just like smoking preferences go: to each their own.
36207169-0EB4-4421-AD00-6D7076CC78BD.jpeg Right now I’m just using four Boveda packs( 1 per box seemed logical for some reason) but ok will definitely seal off the vent tonight and see if that helps the humidity. If not then I’ll either grab some litter or beads to add to the mix.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it an exhaust fan or the fan for the cooling system? The NewAir I own doesn't have an exhaust fan to the outside. BTW if you close up the hole for the drain keep a close eye on it to make sure you do not pool water in the bottom and wet your cigars. If water pools you can buy one of the passive cooling rags they dampen and use while exercising to help recycle the humidity back into the unit.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Is it an exhaust fan or the fan for the cooling system? The NewAir I own doesn't have an exhaust fan to the outside. BTW if you close up the hole for the drain keep a close eye on it to make sure you do not pool water in the bottom and wet your cigars. If water pools you can buy one of the passive cooling rags they dampen and use while exercising to help recycle the humidity back into the unit.
He said it isn't plugged in, impossible for water to pool if the cooling unit isn't running.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So, MikeZ37 do you plan to plug it in?
I may plug it in only during July/August other than that I don’t see temp being an issue at my place. Then I would obviously uncover the exhaust. It’s a cheap thermoelectric cooler so I’m assuming it’s a single dual purpose fan.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't seal anything - put a piece of electrical tape over the drain hole, that's it.

Buy boveda, it's easier and more convenient than kitty litter.
How do you determine how many packs to use? Boveda recemoneds what one pack per30 sticks? Or do you find volume of the actual container is relevant?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
How do you determine how many packs to use? Boveda recemoneds what one pack per30 sticks? Or do you find volume of the actual container is relevant?
That is "directional" advice. In a wineador, your best bet is to just keep sticking more in there (that's what she said) until your hygrometer reads where you want it.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That is "directional" advice. In a wineador, your best bet is to just keep sticking more in there (that's what she said) until your hygrometer reads where you want it.
I think I have about 10-12 in each of my winos, seems to work just fine that way for me
I have a small one like that. During the winter I use 6 and the rest of the year I can use 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good to know I’m not the only guy who has a small one! Wait......that came out wrong

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are not going to power up the unit you may want to find of if your humidity is consistent throughout the unit. Lots of us run a small fan in the units just to circulate the air.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boveda works on volume of the container and not the actual number of cigars in the the unit. So take the number of cigars you could store in the unit and divide by their magic number. On the flip side, you can never have too many Boveda packs because it won't over humidify. The 320g packs work well. I think they come in 65%, 69%, 72% and 75%. The more airtight the container the closer the internal RH will be to the package spec.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I ended up sealing the fan vent from the inside and adding another Boveda because the RH wouldn’t go over 55. Which isn’t surprising seeing as my house is riding right around 10-15% right now. So hopefully it’s up to where I need it before I leave for Colorado. If I had to guess I’d say max I could squeeze 150-200 sticks in there and right now I’m up to 5 boveda packs.