What's new

Winedor possibilities?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well being the newb I am I jumped on craigslist and may have jumped the gun on a wine cooler. Avanti WC600CL/WC601CL, not sure if it's winedor compatible but I got a heck of a deal on it so if not the gf just got a nice wine cooler for the bar haha. If anyone has some information I'm willing to learn some new stuff

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So question 2, can you do a combo wine/cigar cooler? Would the wine bottles cause any issues with cigar storage?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have found that if you can get the temperature right you can address the humidity issue with a well, sealed tupperdor and good pile of CL or beads. Now if you want tupperware in your girlfriend's wine cooler is another issue.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Well being the newb I am I jumped on craigslist and may have jumped the gun on a wine cooler. Avanti WC600CL/WC601CL, not sure if it's winedor compatible but I got a heck of a deal on it so if not the gf just got a nice wine cooler for the bar haha. If anyone has some information I'm willing to learn some new stuff
Where do you live and do you keep the temp fairly constant in your house? We keep our house a fairly constant 72-74f year round and I use a large (170 bottle) compressor unit and don't use the cooling at all and it works great for cigar storage.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Depends on your ambient temperature in your house but you can still use just don't plug it in. Otherwise get thermoelectric cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input fellas! I'm going to pick it up and then see what I can make happen once it gets here. Our house is kept fairly constant at 70-74 all year round so if I could just find a way to cool it a tad without using the compressor that would solve the problem. Time to do some thinking, I'll let you guys know how it turns out once I get it

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Thanks for the input fellas! I'm going to pick it up and then see what I can make happen once it gets here. Our house is kept fairly constant at 70-74 all year round so if I could just find a way to cool it a tad without using the compressor that would solve the problem. Time to do some thinking, I'll let you guys know how it turns out once I get it
You should be fine without needing to cool it if you find a cool place. My basement wino is never on.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that's what I'm going to try first and then if that doesn't work I may look at retrofitting a thermoelectric unit in it if for nothing else than a project to keep me busy for a while

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to get compressor units and a fairly stable humidity.
One guy does it (Cigar Climatology) he's a bit full of himself, though. My take from it is basically get an active humidifier, and some beads or KL. You will definitely need a temperature and humidity controller - there will be overshoot both cooling and humidity wise.
Alternatively, without all the hassle just get some Tupperware and store that in the cooler with Bovedas or beads in the Tupperware (sealed) with cigars. Which is a lot simpler and easier.

Depends on how much overshoot and fluctuations you can live with. You should be able to keep it in the high 50's - 70%. It will just overshoot when the cooling comes on. The humidifier will easily get it there. Seeing as it's compressor I'd probably go for the bigger units, perhaps an Accumonitor or the larger Hydra.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a cigar oasis excel with is good for up to 4 cubic feet according to the specs this fridge is 5 cubic feet according to its specs so maybe if it's in the basement it'll hold a steady temp and then I can still use beads and the active humidification? It'll be an experiment all the way around it sounds like

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Personally if you're going to use the compressor unit, I would go with large tupperdores inside. Separate the cooling from the humidity management.

Otherwise the compressor is going to fight with the humidification and cause lots of fluctuation.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have a cigar oasis excel with is good for up to 4 cubic feet according to the specs this fridge is 5 cubic feet according to its specs so maybe if it's in the basement it'll hold a steady temp and then I can still use beads and the active humidification? It'll be an experiment all the way around it sounds like
People always make this so complicated (and I make it too simple, I know.)

Basement should be cooler than 70. Turning this on in such an environment will just cause you trouble and then you'll make more threads about it and I'll have to comment on them and on and on. :)

Get a few Bovedas and a a bag of KL (or HCM if you really wish to spend the money.) Put the cigars in, put the Bovedas and KL in.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@StogieNinja @sofc I should have been more clear, I don't plan on using the compressor unit, just putting it in the basement to see if it'll hold at less than 70 while it's off

@Boudie is that an ETC? If so what is it controlling?