What's new

Wise Man Maduro - Foundation Cigar Co

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My first attempt at a reveiw on botl. Hope this helps some who was thinking about smoking this cigar.

Cigar Name: The Wise Man “El Gueguense” Maduro

Size: Robusto 5 ½ x50

Manufacture: Foundation Cigar Co

Wrapper/Binder/Filler: Mexican San Andreas/Nicaragua/Nicaragua

Body: Medium-full

Strength: Medium

General Info (from manufacturer's website):

“Foundation Cigar Company President Nicholas Melillo announces the release of The Wise Man (EL Güegüense) Maduro, for IPCPR 2017 in Las Vegas, NV. The release provides for a line extension to Melillo’s premier brand released during IPCPR 2015, where the Nicaraguan puro enjoyed a highly successful launch, going on to find inclusion in Cigar Aficionado’s Top 25 list for 2016.

The cigars will be available in twenty-five count boxes in five traditional Cuban box press sizes. The varieties will include a 5 ½ x 50 Robusto, a 5 5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda, a 6 x 56 Toro Huaco, a 7 x 48 Churchill, and a 6 ¼ x 52 Torpedo. The cigars will be priced in the retail range of $9-$13 USD.

Melillo blended the The Wise Man (El Güegüense) Maduro using Nicaraguan filler tobaccos from Condega, Esteli, and Jalapa and covered the cigar with a beautiful, oily, and rich San Andres Mexican Maduro wrapper. “We’ve enjoyed a lot of success with El Güegüense, and it is an honor for people to recognize a project that personally means so much to me.” says Melillo. “I was looking to create a line extension with a whole different level of complexity and the San Andrès wrapper brings just that. The blend encompasses bold flavors of black pepper, dark roast espresso and cacao. Medium plus in body and strength and rounded out with a nutty finish.”

I have always been drawn to San Andrés, Mexico and have been buying tobacco there since 2003. The wrapper is one of my favorites, not to mention one of the oldest seed varieties in the world, which predates even Cuban seed. The combination of this unique capa and Nicaraguan fillers makes for an amazingly flavorful smoke.”

Appearance (5/5):

Chocolate brown “toothy” wrapper. Some visible veins but no visible seams. Well applied cap with a slight box press

Burn (5/5):

Both cigars I smoked for this review were perfect. Very crisp burn line with no touch-ups needed. You can tell this is a well made cigar because you can put it down for a while and one puff brings it back to life.

Draw (5/5):

Again. Flawless. Just the right amount of resistance

Aroma (5/5):

Nice rich earth tobacco aromas.

Flavor/Taste/Aftertaste (18/20):

This starts out bold. HEAVY pepper on the retrohale. Lots of rich earth and wood flavors typical from Mexican San Andreas. About an inch in the pepper become more manageable and a sweetness starts to show up. This is a bold cigar. Predominant flavor in the first third are pepper, woody/earth and a pleasant bitter chocolate. Reminds me of baking chocolate. The second third and things start to calm down. Its smoothing out. The pepper is much more manageable on the retro and its starting to get creamy. The chocolate is still there. I’m glad I'm smoking this on a full stomach as I can tell this is going to get stronger. Final third and its much of the same and theres a nice coffee flavor creeping in also. Definitely close to full strength. I had to slow myself down toward the end. Again, make sure you eat before this one.

Overall Quality (10/10):

Build quality, appearance, draw are all top notch. This is an excellently made cigar that was a pleasure to smoke.

Final Score = 48/50

Definite thumbs up. In my opinion, this isn't a cigar for the new smoker. Its bold and peppery (which i like) and might be to much for for some. However, once you get into the second third, it does calm down and becomes rich and earthy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk