What's new

Wood Pellet BBQ recommendation needed!

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey Brothers, looks like my cheapie propane grill is finally crapping out and I don't want to move it in a couple of months. I am looking at upgrading to a wood pellet smoker after tasting a friend's Traeger. I am a yankee smoker noob so something quality but idiot proof is what I'm going for. Traeger, MAC REC, MAK or Yoder are all brands I've read about online. If you could point me in the right direction I'd be most obliged.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am a tried and true wood burner/ ugly drum smoker. My father in law has a Traeger and a good friend has a Green Mountain pellet smoker which I have eaten lots of different meats from. I still prefer wood burner/ ugly drum smoked meats. Although there are quality pellet smokers out there, none of them give that "real wood smoked" taste to brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. i don't know if it is the binder in the pellets, they way the pellets are made or combusted but they definitely taste "different" to me.

That's just my $.002 coming from a multi local and regional champion BBQ team member.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I have a Traeger and I love how easy it is to use. If you like the ease of the propane, the Traeger is a sure bet. Just make sure the hopper is full of pellets and you're good. The only downside with the Traeger is that you won't get super awesome smoke rings like you would with a smoker. Hope this helps... My $.0002!!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've got a couple of small propane cabinets I bought at Lowe's. I use chunks of hickory or apple that I buy in bags from Kroger. It works well and I can get a good smoke ring. My .00002 cents. (Actual value.)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You're gonna get 100 different opinions on this subject. It's almost as bad as talking politics and/ or religion. I can tell you I've had great "smoked wood" tasting meats from a pellet smoker. If you're looking for a "set it and forget it" then you can't go wrong.
I personally use a vertical gasser which is blasphemy to most die hard smokers but you can't argue with the results. I would put my meat up against anyone's.......that doesn't exactly sound right but you know what I'm trying to say.

Go to the smoking meats forum and you will get some info on the pellet smokers.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
My dad was seriously looking into a pellet smoker. He decided instead to get a Kamado Joe ceramic "egg" smoker/grill. It's awesome. Very versatile and easy to use.