What's new

Wood ?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
OK, I have never smoked anything but briar, however, I am seeing that bowls can be made of maple and cherry also, Just curious if anyone here ever smoked any pipes made of these 2 woods? How were they? Do they last as long as briar? Oh heck, just fill me in with all the details you have about them. Thanks

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Ropp made out of cherry wood. I like the pipe little small. However it smokes really nice and haven't had it on fire. It smokes well. Only thing on this pipe is it has a Hole on the bottom of the Bowl for extra draft. This hole has some kind of metel in it for protection of the wood I would guess.. Very unique pipe. I only smoke it 1 or 2 times a week. In the last few months I have passed it by. However I do have over 80 pipes so I can't really smoke them all the time

James

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok well I tried and tried to get Photobucket to let me put some pictures on here and for the last week or little less it just isn't letting me do anything other then upload photos... So I will put a couple of the pipe on here you will just have to click it to see them better.

James

PS. The hole at the bottom is odd. don't effect the ability to smoke the pipe covered or uncovered. So I just leave it alone. Love the Pipe. Smoking it right now infact. Taste good and smokes well....

EDIT was PS added.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My biggest concern with other woods is whether they'd get too hot or burn too easily.
Understand and I did at first think the same thing. I don't know the real reason why the hole is in the bottom of the bowl but I think it is to help keep the pipe cool. I have at times made this pipe little warmer then I cared to. But from the pictures you can see that it isn't burnt. and it cleans well. I use with this pipe a Zippo Pipe lighter The rim of the pipe isn't burnt. I do tend to smoke VaPer from this pipe as a norm.

James

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
That's really a nice pipe, strange hole but hey, if it works. I also see that it looks like it may have been made from a branch, cause there is heart wood in the center on the bottom of the pipe.
I wondered about the burning factor also, maybe they could be preburnt with a torch to "harden" the wood some.
Interesting......

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
That's really a nice pipe, strange hole but hey, if it works. I also see that it looks like it may have been made from a branch, cause there is heart wood in the center on the bottom of the pipe.
I wondered about the burning factor also, maybe they could be preburnt with a torch to "harden" the wood some.
Interesting......
And the stem in particular looks like a small branch.

If it smokes well, you've got a great piece!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Interesting......
And the stem in particular looks like a small branch.

If it smokes well, you've got a great piece!
Yes it does, totally missed that.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok well I did smoke it after all this started me a bowl of Orlik Golden Sliced. WOW I have to say it smokes very well and the Tobacco is a great flavor. I mostly smoke VaPer in this pipe but clean it is. the hole has to be to keep it cooler. The only thing I didn't like about the pipe is the stem to the shank to the bowl don't line up 100%. When i put a pipe cleaner in the stem it goes to the bowl and not in it. However it did start to gurgle a little and when I put the pipe cleaner down it did clean it out. When I was done with the bowl there was only nice clean ash in the bowl no extra fluids in the bottom as I have with some other pipes. I have to say with the little hole mis alignment this pipe is perfect...

James

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've seen some Mr Brog pipes online made from pear. Seems interesting but haven't caught one at the right price.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've seen some Mr Brog pipes online made from pear. Seems interesting but haven't caught one at the right price.
From what I have seen and i have to say some look nice. But sadly where i have seen them pop up is at like head Shops for other type of smoking products. Some of them pipe even say they come with Screens so for me I bought a pipe one time that I thought was cool to find out later it was not for really smoking tobacco. I did use it a few times and smoked well. Not one that could use with a Pipe cleaner very well.

James

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i have two brog pear woods, and they smoke most any style of tobacco well. super huge but still light. and i, personally, have NEVER seen them come with a pot screen. both pass a cleaner with a little work, but usually smoke dry enough that it isn't needed during a smoke. i REALLY like the "kentucky" model, FWIW. check out their amazon.com store.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First I should have known better when the poster said cost? Second I am sorry for my last post about Brog pipes I was wrong and it is sad really that I can't even find the pipes that I was thinking about right now to clear this up. However it does start with a B and is 4 letters, They make wood pipes and are not really that spendy. So when the poster stated price I should have looked up the pipes in question and kept my comments to myself... I am not an Expert or Perfect as I am human and we all make mistakes. Thank you for the Correction and if i can find the pipe maker that i thought it was I will post the info.

James

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
hey, no harm no foul. for about $30-ish, i am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN someone has bought these for pot. and, there may have been someone selling a brog co-packed with screens. but, having bought from them directly from their amazon.com store, that wasn't my experience. also, kinda partial to them, so i didn't want to let that slide without my testimonial, dig? o)

but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid anything with "durable" in the descriptor, or ANYTHING from china. there are some honest to god artisan pipemakers over there, but most all of what you see on the 'bay or the 'zon are really unfit for human consumption. good for a laugh at the grammar, but little else beyond that.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
First I should have known better when the poster said cost? Second I am sorry for my last post about Brog pipes I was wrong and it is sad really that I can't even find the pipes that I was thinking about right now to clear this up. However it does start with a B and is 4 letters, They make wood pipes and are not really that spendy. So when the poster stated price I should have looked up the pipes in question and kept my comments to myself... I am not an Expert or Perfect as I am human and we all make mistakes. Thank you for the Correction and if i can find the pipe maker that i thought it was I will post the info.

James
Heck, you don't need to feel bad about posting, I never thought a think of it, but then, I ain't that smart anyways:)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
From what I have seen and i have to say some look nice. But sadly where i have seen them pop up is at like head Shops for other type of smoking products. Some of them pipe even say they come with Screens so for me I bought a pipe one time that I thought was cool to find out later it was not for really smoking tobacco. I did use it a few times and smoked well. Not one that could use with a Pipe cleaner very well.

James
Hey, I had a hard time hunting down a kiseru pipe because so many people use it for "other recreational plants".