What's new

Would This Work?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
There is a cigar deal that I don't think I can pass up and therefore have a dilemma on my hands. I have a pretty full humidor and would like to get some new stuff. If I put some excess cigrs in an empty box and then into one of those fuente humidor bags would they stay well for a while? Or what is my best option to store like 10-20 cigars without buying a new humidor?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Drive down to the local big box store, pick up a big tupperware container add a humidifier and you'll have a tuppador. You can buy a humidifer at your B&M or get a smaller container and some wet floral foam and make your own. Just make sure to open the lid weekly to exchange the air.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ok so I will go with tupperward and a boveda pack. Does the tupperware need to be seasoned before putting smokes in there and if so what are the steps.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
There is a cigar deal that I don't think I can pass up and therefore have a dilemma on my hands. I have a pretty full humidor and would like to get some new stuff. If I put some excess cigrs in an empty box and then into one of those fuente humidor bags would they stay well for a while? Or what is my best option to store like 10-20 cigars without buying a new humidor?
I got a great humi, travel humi deal I got going. Save you a ton of cash in the long run.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Do you guys think it is necessary to get a hygro or does the tupperware hold the humidity in well? I was thinking about getting a bigger plastic bin to fit about 4 cigar boxes in to have more storge space. Will the boveda work fine with this setup probably like 4-6 boveda packets should be good?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Do you guys think it is necessary to get a hygro or does the tupperware hold the humidity in well? I was thinking about getting a bigger plastic bin to fit about 4 cigar boxes in to have more storge space. Will the boveda work fine with this setup probably like 4-6 boveda packets should be good?
If you are goin to buy that many Bovedas, yoou may jjust want to spring for some of the beads. Tupperware will hold humidity in well, IIf it's a permanant solution, a hygro would be a good Idea. If only short term, probably no need as your new sticks will be moist and the tupperware will hold it well.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
No hygrometer necessary if you use a Boveda pack. The plastic can't be seasoned as it wont absorb any RH, nor will it lose it if it seals properly. As mentioned, crack the lid off for a few seconds once a week or so to get some fresh air in there and you're ready to go. The Boveda pack is somewhat self regulating so a hygro isn't necessary, beads work well too.

However if you were just to use an old cigar box as your initial post stated, you'd most likely end up with dried out cigars as the wood from the box would want to get moisture from somewhere. Now it'll get it from the Boveda too, but also from your sticks. Not to mention, cigar boxes aren't made to have that great of a seal, but like mentioned above, an inexpensive Tupperware container will do the trick very well.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks for the quick responses! Being a poor college student means no extra money for another humidor!

If I am storing in cigar boxes should I worry about the plastic smell or no?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I would used a mild dish soap like Palmolive to wash the plastic smell out and be sure it is dried thouroughly.