What's new

Would you age all NC's?

Eric E

HCF Senior Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want out of your cigar. An Opus X will become milder with time, but is that what you want? The Petite Lancero is in your face young, but three years down the road, it has been tamed. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what its producers tout it for. I "lost" a box of Avo #1s because I tried to age them years ago.

I believe age helps balance a cigar. By this, I mean it evens things out between the wrapper, the binder and the filler. It marries the qualities of these individual parts together. You get a better burning cigar with a better balance between the pieces. Think about humidy alone -- can a cigar, sitting in a closed box for a month, achieve equilibrium throughout its parts? IMVHO, I don't believe so.

As for Cubans, I like them aged. The difference between a RyJ Robusto El at delivery a couple of years ago versus today is indescribable. The cab of Partagas Lusitanias I have only gets better with age. I try (not always with great sccess) to age my cigars (Cubans).

Aging NCs? It doesn't hurt to try. Smoke one every month or so to get a feel for the cigar. If you like it, then smoke 'em like there's no tomorrow. Cubans? Let them sit. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

Mr.OneNineDoubleDeuce

The Machine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience, cigars like the La Flor dom. Ligero's, and JdN antano's don't age very well. The reason is these cigars are meant to be smoked when they are at their strongest which is usually fresh out the box. With age, these turn into your average mild smokes.

However, I do agree that higher end smokes like Padron's Camacho's and Davidoff's can benefit from long term aging.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So from what I understand Cubans go through sick periods because they're rushed to the shelves. N/C's would go through sick periods as well if they weren't aged as long...is that right? I don't know if this has ever been explained very well anywhere. Maybe nobody knows. Hopefully when I get my copy of MRN from the group buy it will go over the sick period in more detail.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
That's about right Jason. Cuba needs money fast and so they don't have time to age cigars unless of course they will bring in triple of what the current version sells for, i.e. PSD#4 Reserva. Non-cuban manufacturers have the capital available to be able to age cigars and release them at their peak. Naturally this varies by manufacturer though.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
While I believe most cigars benefit from age I don't think all cigars are worth the time and money it takes to age them. Why age something that's going to be a little better in a few years vs aging a box that will be stellar in a few years. Age what you really enjoy as most of the time it will get better. Some, you may find, don't do well from aging but that's up to your own opinion.

Generaly speaking... I would only age NCs that I enjoy as much as Cubans. For me that’s: Opus, Don Carlos, Hemi Mads, Anejos and Padrons. Anything else... and I would rather smoke a Cuban, especially an aged one.