What's new

Would you buy from a B&M when

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
the manager is stocking shelves in the humidor while smoking a cigarette?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Don’t think I would avoid them for that reason alone but I’m guessing it indicates a general lack of cigar knowledge that may lead to other questionable decisions when it comes to their cigars. I’d Be on the alert for mold or dryness if I were in your shoes.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't and I don't eat at a restaurant when the employees don't wash their hands after taking a whizz. Some things should be common sense....as Jim Croce use to sing....You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim.

Humidors are pretty sacrosanct to me when I visit a B&M....they should be treated well for all of the tobacco they house otherwise why not just empty a can of Raid in there if you see a bug? JMHO

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One of the reasons I enjoy visiting B&Ms is walking into their humidor and taking in that wonderful smell of cedar and cured tobacco. Kind of a turn off when I get the smell of cigarette smoke, ruined the experience. As Cigary and Rupe mentioned this is not the first time I've been disappointed with this B&M, last time they tried to convince me mold was plume.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
One of the reasons I enjoy visiting B&Ms is walking into their humidor and taking in that wonderful smell of cedar and cured tobacco. Kind of a turn off when I get the smell of cigarette smoke, ruined the experience. As Cigary and Rupe mentioned this is not the first time I've been disappointed with this B&M, last time they tried to convince me mold was plume.
There are a pile of "cigar shops" here in the twin cities that run like 74% RH and everything has LOTS of "plume". It sucks cause they actually have some decent smokes at a fair price, just can't buy them...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Couldn't have said it better.....one of the things about B&M's I love when I travel around is that aroma I can't get at home. I wish that B&M's would get smart and make their business a "safe place" to go to and not crank up the RH to where they call mold "plume"....it just gives them a bad reputation and can kill a business or at the very least...run off customers. It's the first thing I look for when I visit .....I won't buy a soggy stick much less smoke one. If an Owner/Manager would smoke a cigarette inside their own humidor then what else is going on in that store....I want B&M's to thrive and be successful but to shoot yourself in the foot and have people watch you doing it....the population in the Bizzaro World just keeps going up.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I cannot send you a private pm.
it does not appear as an option when I click on your nickname..............

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Let me check into that, thanks for the heads up @Nacho Daddy

Changed something in conversations that may have caused it. Haven't noticed a problem before

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I answered yes in my original post, but I feel a need to expand a little. Cigars, flavored/ infused cigars and cigarettes are all made of tobacco. Cigar rollers are notorious for smoking tobacco as they roll our precious cigars. When inspecting the leaves in the drying barns, people are smoking tobacco. My point is, it's all tobacco. Do I think it's a good idea to smoke a cigarette in a humidor? No and I would never do it. Too many people don't like it because it stinks. Just like the majority of people don't like the smell of cigars because they stink. If you entered into a B&M humidor and they had their flavored and infused cigars in the same humidor, would you walk out and refuse to buy?
I fully understand the opposition to cigarette smoking in a humidor. I get it. It stinks and fucks up the tobacco and cedar aroma that we all love. But I wouldn't refuse to buy a cigar or 2 because I saw someone smoking a cigarette in there. If I owned a B&M I would not allow any tobacco smoking inside the humidor, period. But until a cigar becomes mine, I have little to no control over what it has been exposed to. Just like everything else we buy.

I also understand why B&M tend to keep the humidity higher than we prefer at home. If my humidor door was being opened 100's of times a day I would likely raise the Rh too. I make a mental note when I walk in to a humidor about the humidity and figure approx how long they will need to acclimate in my preferred Rh.
Mold and beetles are a deal breaker though.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
IMHO, the comparison to cigarettes to cigar is faulty. Cigar rollers may smoke cigars while rolling, but these cigars are 100% tobacco....wrapper, filler, binder. Cigarettes have countless additives to make them more palatable to smokers. The chemicals that form when they are burned, and run through a cigarette filter are much different as well. I don't even like it when people smoke cigars in the walk-in. To think of anyone, and especially am employee/owner, makes no sense to me at all.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
IMHO, the comparison to cigarettes to cigar is faulty. Cigar rollers may smoke cigars while rolling, but these cigars are 100% tobacco....wrapper, filler, binder. Cigarettes have countless additives to make them more palatable to smokers. The chemicals that form when they are burned, and run through a cigarette filter are much different as well. I don't even like it when people smoke cigars in the walk-in. To think of anyone, and especially am employee/owner, makes no sense to me at all.
I agree, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me to not buy a cigar. Any stale smoke, be it cigarette or cigar are nasty. If we are talking an owner that hung out in the humidor while he smoked 2 Packs a day would be different.
But going by the OP, a cig being smoked in the humidor would necessarily make me head for the door. If it did bother me to that point I would tell the owner why I was leaving on my way out.