What's new

Wrapper repair question

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I need to do some surgery on some wrappers and rather than buy a cigar-specific product, a couple of guys pointed me towards liquid pectin, found in most grocery stores.

Well, all I can find is fruit pectin. Will that work, or do I need to keep looking for a vegetable-based pectin? I'm afraid that the fruit pectin might impart some sort of sweet taste to the cigar.

Anybody have any experience with this? :dunno:

Thanks!

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Do not try, I repeat do not try the fruit pectin. Not unless you want to smoke something like a Kuba Kuba. I speak from experience, yuck. Go for the real stuff. I would try your local B&M, that is where I got mine.

--Tony

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let me know if you need a bottle of the cigar stuff, we sell it at the lounge, I'll pick some up for you if you need me to.
Wade, I may actually take you up on that offer. My local B+M doesn't carry any. I could have used some of that tonight, I had an Oliva Series G Figurado and the wrapper went to hell on me about 3/4 of the way through :( I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow ;)

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Wade, I may actually take you up on that offer. My local B+M doesn't carry any. I could have used some of that tonight, I had an Oliva Series G Figurado and the wrapper went to hell on me about 3/4 of the way through :( I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow ;)
Sounds good, just let me know if you need some or can't find it locally.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I wouldn't advise ordering more than one bottle at a time, enough for hundreds of repairs, as the stuff must be refrigerated and has a shelf life of one year. That's is the advantage pectin has, it doesn't go bad.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I wouldn't advise ordering more than one bottle at a time, enough for hundreds of repairs, as the stuff must be refrigerated and has a shelf life of one year. That's is the advantage pectin has, it doesn't go bad.
Thanks Ken, good advice. Vegetable pectin is apparently hard to find in the grocery stores around here.