What's new

wrinkles ?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I wrap a bunch the wrapper looks smooth. Sometimes the next day it is wrinkled. I'm sure it has to do with drying out but I'm not sure what is happening. Is the wrapper too wet or is there too much a difference in the case of the bunch and the wrapper? Maybe I'm stretching it too much???

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I wrap a bunch the wrapper looks smooth. Sometimes the next day it is wrinkled. I'm sure it has to do with drying out but I'm not sure what is happening. Is the wrapper too wet or is there too much a difference in the case of the bunch and the wrapper? Maybe I'm stretching it too much???
Never seen that but you lost me at "wet." I've never rolled with a wet (or even damp) wrapper but I can imagine that would be a more unpredictable situation than with a wrapper that was not wet, and thus didn't have as much changing to do.

Just my guess. Hard to imagine the dynamics at play.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Can you post a pic, perhaps one of us will recognize what you're seeing if we see it too...
As the wrapper dries down, it usually tightens up...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can you post a pic, perhaps one of us will recognize what you're seeing if we see it too...
As the wrapper dries down, it usually tightens up...

Eggs Ackley

What variety of wrapper?
How damp is it?
What shape?

I find if I'm wrapping a figurado, damp wrapper of a stretchy variety will shrink down nice and tight around the compound shape. But if I'm wrapping a parejo, you can go with far less damp. But even if you do dampen a parejo wrapper, it's not gonna wrinkle.

I spose that if your wrap is damp and yet you have wrinkles after, then, either you are not stretching it tight enough between the thumb and forefinger of the hand you use to hold the wrapper to the board, or else your other hand does not constantly hold the stick tight to the board.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After I posted this question I realized I should have included a picture. I went to my humidor and checked the 50 or so home-rolls that I have. I was surprised that none were wrinkled. I guess it has been quite a while since I've had this problem.
As I read the responses here and reflected on the problem I came to the conclusion that I wasn't stretching the wrapper in both directions evenly. I must be better at it now since the last few months have not been a problem.
I do see wrinkles in some of the photos posted here and that's what made me think of it. For those who suffer from wrinkles I suggest making sure you stretch in both directions using the thumb and fingers as mentioned by webmost