What's new

WTF Canada?!?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I know some fine Canadian BOTLs, but wtf?!? Let me see them play hockey without a puck and then they will realize how F'in stupid this is!?! LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2013/09/03/to-ensure-every-child-wins-ontario-athletic-association-removes-ball-from-soccer/

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer

With the growing concern over the effects of competition in youth sports programs this summer, many Canadian soccer associations eliminated the concept of keeping score. The Soccer Association of Midlake, Ontario, however, has taken this idea one step further, and have completely removed the ball from all youth soccer games and practices.

According to Association spokesperson, Helen Dabney-Coyle, "By removing the ball, it's absolutely impossible to say 'this team won' and 'this team lost' or 'this child is better at soccer than that child.'"

"We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are."

This summer Peter Oldring spent time with the Midlake Thundercats, an under 11 boys and girls team, and put together this radio documentary.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Ya i read that on the drudge the other day. I figured it was some town in California until I read the actual article haha

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Sports are ALL about competition. That's what they are ALL designed for. Whoever these people are clearly have no clue what they are talking about and should be immediately removed from their position. This is asinine....

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why would anyone want their kids growing up and be content with being a loser in life because they never learned the value of winning and agony of defeat.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Oops sorry. I even thought right away it could be satire, but saw it was on CBC's site and figured it would be legit... shows the sad state of today that people would think it's real.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
People who say it hurts our kids to put them into positions of who won and lost don't understand the concept of good sportsmanship. Whether this is real or not, I can see some people trying to do just this because their kid losing is bad for them. Sad state of affairs when we can't teach our kids how to be good winners and losers, much less put the onus of doing so on the parents who bared the child to begin with.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Where I'm from they actually give all the kids, each and everyone one of them, a trophy just for playing in the league. They arent' afraid to admit that they do this so that none of the kids that don't win won't feel like losers.

After all, we're all winners in life. Right?!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Unless you're in hockey, shit like this happens. In track and field, which is now optional(irony), the first 3 kids in a race get the 1st place ribbon. What the hell? If you were the overweight 7th grader back in my day, you finished the race then you went and kicked everyone's ass in shot put.

Competition is a thing of the past for our youth. It's the athletic kids that suffer. When I saw this article, I never read it, but thought 'I'm not surprised'.

KK33

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I couldn't agree more with KK.

I was always very athletic and I feel it brought out the best in me. In motivated me and drove me to do the best that I could. I didn't care if I beat 5 ppl or 50 ppl my purpose was to be on top.

Society is turning into a bunch of sissies. Can't hurt ppls feelings they aren't as good at it as you are. I feel with this mentality it is setting absolutely everyone up to fail as adults cause in the real world everything is a competition.