What's new

WWYD? ROTT + 3 days or Straight from the B&M

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been doing some reading about smoking ROTT and have a noob question.
I'm meeting a friend on Friday and wanted him to try an LP9 with me. I just got a 4 pack in the mail yesterday in a ziplock bag with a 69% Boveda Pack.
I've noticed that I like the burn, and more importantly taste more in a cigar, when it is in the mid to low 60% RH.
I've also noticed that many times I find smoking a stick that I just brought home from a B&M to not be as good as one that's been in my humi for a couple of weeks. (From what I understand most B&Ms keep their humis around 70%?... do I don't know if this is the reason).
Anyway, my question is, if you were me, would you smoke the LP9s that are ROTT + 3 days (in my 65% humi), or would you just pick up a couple at a B&M the day of?
If the cigars were in fact 69%, how long would you think it would take them to get to 63 to 65% (where I like them?). It's hard to tell with LPs too because they seem so firm (whereas with other cigars, I can feel some mushyness if they are too humidified and I won't smoke them).
When I initially got my humi, it ran at 72% for a while and I felt like I was smoking wet dirt out of a straw... I didn't realize what over-humidification would do to a cigar at the time due to my noobness.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I would give them several weeks at minimum to acclimate to a lower rH. Find something else to smoke now, and enjoy these next time.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Its completely subjective, I've found my cigars to smoke well ROTT from famous or small batch cigar. You could always smoke one beforehand to see :)

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I've learned that it's better to let the cigars rest and acclimate in your environment than to smoke the now. It's also a good method to quarantine them to ensure all is good to protect your collection.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
BTW: I would rarely (casa/Fed) smoke from a B&M as they do keep things more humid than I like but often smoke what comes in the mail.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Lots of good info here. When it comes down to it, there is no right or wrong way. RH and Taste are all boiled down to preference. Some like them drier. Some like them more humid. Personally, I've smoked them all ways and have had great experiences with both ROTT and settling in my humi.

Granted, letting them rest does change the cigar (for the better IMO), but I don't think you could go wrong with the Liga 9 ROTT. I smoked at Dirty Rat a few weeks ago the same night I purchased it from the B&M and it was just fine. Like I said, all a matter of preference.

If your friend isn't a regular smoker, chances are, his palate won't be able to tell the difference.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you want to smoke them, I say smoke them.

I personally like LP dryboxed for a day or more so that's what I would do.
What do you mean by "dry boxing"? Lay them out on your desk or put them in tupperware without humidification?

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
While I agree with most of the comments about letting them rest, that isn't an option out of your two. Given your options I would rather take the ones you have and dry box them like Ara suggested. They will be more at your humidity range than the ones from a b&m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
While I agree with most of the comments about letting them rest, that isn't an option out of your two. Given your options I would rather take the ones you have and dry box them like Ara suggested. They will be more at your humidity range than the ones from a b&m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect! I knew you guys would be able to help ;)
I didn't know about dryboxing. Will try it for a day before we smoke em. Also nice thing about that is I save some money as I got them for $10 a stick online vs. $17 at the B&M.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've noticed that I like the burn, and more importantly taste more in a cigar, when it is in the mid to low 60% RH.
Rule of thumb: it takes 1 week for each percentage point of "drying out..." For example, to get your sticks acclimated down to 65% from 70%, you're looking at 5 weeks. This is why smoking sticks ROTT is a crapshoot...:(

From what I understand most B&Ms keep their humis around 70%?... do I don't know if this is the reason
B&Ms maintain 70% for a simple reason: it prevents their sticks from cracking / splitting from all the handling they get! :cigar:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rule of thumb: it takes 1 week for each percentage point of "drying out..." For example, to get your sticks acclimated down to 65% from 70%, you're looking at 5 weeks. This is why smoking sticks ROTT is a crapshoot...:(

B&Ms maintain 70% for a simple reason: it prevents their sticks from cracking / splitting from all the handling they get! :cigar:
So it is true about the high humidity at B&Ms.... interesting.
Also, that's a lot longer to acclimate to humidity than I thought. wow.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Perfect! I knew you guys would be able to help ;)
I didn't know about dryboxing. Will try it for a day before we smoke em. Also nice thing about that is I save some money as I got them for $10 a stick online vs. $17 at the B&M.
I use an empty cigar box (cedar box) and leave them in there as long as I can. Typically 4 to 6 hours, but great if day+

Toss them in a box tonight and you'll be fine