What's new

X-take: Tatuaje Frank Jr.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Smoke: Tatuaje Frank Jr.; Beverage: Water and Coke; Location: Federal Cigar, Epping, NH
1.jpg
Pre-Cut: Wrapper has a silky smooth feel, no major veins, Small hole in the wrapper about an inch above the band. Noseing the end produces a strong maple smell.
2.jpg
Cap-Cut: Easy cap cut, no complaints

Cold Draw: Cold draw reaffirms maple with a slightly stronger cedar behind it.
3.jpg
1st Third: Initial light produces strong woodsy flavors with a light backside of spice. Very smooth smoke. No bite on the retrohale. Nice sweet maple is the primary profile. Very light smoke not chock full of flavor. Very clean razor sharp burn. Nice tight white ash.
4.jpg
2nd Third: Ash gave out on me shortly beginning into the second third. Flavor profile has picked up a slight dried leather on the palette after the initial blast of maple. Burn is still spot on razor sharp. Still a strong dark woodsy flavor. Developing a slight sting on the retrohale which brings out the leather profile.
5.jpg
3rd Third: Beginning into the last third and the profile has become very dark and earthy with the dry leather still prevelant on the back end. The smoke is thick and almost chewable at this point.

Burn Time: 12:18pm EST to 1:13pm EST

Nicotine Strength: This little guy kinda snuck up on me. The strength picked up a lot as it burned shorter and shorter. Easily a full.
6.jpg
Final Thoughts: Not gonna lie. This whole smoke was very meh for me. Kind of a boring smoke, not strong definitive changes in the profile just a constant strength increase. I'll have to revisit it in a year or so and see if any extra age on them changes the smoke, but my hopes are not real high.

Matt

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, thanks for review! to be honest, this is the least impressive mini for me. then again, for it's price, it is still a nice cigar; the fact that it's siblings are sitting right next to it hurts it somewhat, IMO, but just tell someone "it's about $7", and it would be a winner. in frankie's defense, it IS just a month old, and i think 55min may have been hasty, i have heard nursing this and the mini mum really pays off.

hell, in the end, you don't like it, sure you can trade them off, as someone will have frankie as their fave. o)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked this quite a bit slower, and I would say this is my number 2 behind the Mum. I thought it had a ton of flavor and was right where I like them as far as strength.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I wasn't a big fan of the mini Frank, either. Not a bad smoke at all. I was just expecting more. Love the Wolfie and Face though :)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I smoked this quite a bit slower, and I would say this is my number 2 behind the Mum. I thought it had a ton of flavor and was right where I like them as far as strength.
I agree, I had a hard time choosing between the mum and the frank jr as a fav. Took me about an 1:15 to smoke each. Both very different smokes but equally box worthy with lots of aging potential

I can't wait to try the mum in the larger vitola

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I do generally smoke fairly quickly, but that last picture shows how much was left when I dropped it. So I could have bled another 20 minutes smoke out of it, but I had lost interest.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both very different smokes but equally box worthy with lots of aging potential

I can't wait to try the mum in the larger vitola
I agree with both, I will definitely be grabbing a box of the Mum (even if I hadn't had the mini I would be) and I am excited to see what happens to both of them after a year or more. I have a full box that I plan on trying one of each out of once a year has passed.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wish I would have read this first! But had a friend over this weekend and shared the stick. It didn't live up to what I had built it. I'm not sure if aging is going to help this cigar as it didn't have enough backbone to mellow or soften out. It also didn't have enough character to bring together as other cigars do.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
First of all...I love the honest reviews!!! I tell it like it is myself and even though it has rocked the boat a couple times I feel that a BOTL review is better than most bloggers for obvious reasons.
I would agree with this review as well and for me the Original Frank left me with the same feeling...I just didn't get what all the hype was about.
Thanks again for the honest review and pics bro! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Nice review. I just picked up one of the last Little Monster boxes from my local. Gonna let them chill in the humidor for a little while before trying.