What's new

Xikar HC Habano Colorado Salomon

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Today's review will be for the new Xikar HC Habano Colorado Salomon. Having tried the 3 different lines of the Xikar HC cigars I found I liked the Criollo the best of the 3. The Connecticut was a little mild for me and not really a big fan of Habano Colorado when I originally tried it. I have found the Salamon size is always a nice size as it seems to change complexity as it is smoked, and generally they make for a nice long smoke. Prelight draw is a bit of cedar with a hint of sweetness to it. Wrapper is a nice redish brown with minimal veins.

Once lit I really struggled to get a small puff of smoke out of it. Cigar felt slightly firm but couldn't get it to draw. Broke out the draw poker I picked up from Boom and ran it through the ash side about an inch and it opened up just a little. Seemed like a construction issue around the "bulb" at the foot. Now that the plugged issue is out of the way, I am picking up a cedar burn to the retrohale. I would say it is not quite medium body/strength to the first third.

As I get in to the second third I find I am still fighting the draw a little bit and this is definitely putting a damper on the experience of this cigar. Still fairly medium body/strength with an earth/cedar profile with a hint of chocolate to it.

Final third the cigar has finally gotten to the point of smokable, albeit an hour and a half plus to get to this point. Basically finished the same as it began, fairly one dimensional and around medium strength. I had high hopes for this cigar having found the other vitolas in this line somewhat enjoyable. Hard not to think the draw issues had an influence on the enjoyment, hopefully it was just a bad roll and not a representation of what the cigar is really like. Final verdict.......(see pic below).