What's new

Yard Sale Pick-up

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
This caught my eye as I was driving past a yard sale on my way to work yeaterday. The woman claimed it belonged to her ex-husband. For $50 I became the new owner of a 300-400ish count size humidor, complete with old dried dog rockets.

Here’s the box:
23A6850A-1880-412B-8A1E-CBBF89CE0029.jpeg
820E9BCC-106E-47FD-9880-F93F4E4038A7.jpeg
0DF0A1DD-3BFC-4A19-84FF-13D0CF907777.jpeg

And an example of the previous owner’s fine taste:
2B4C16D0-9409-46F8-94C1-1B653788AE02.jpeg

I tossed the old green foam humidifiers, analog hygrometer, and yes, the sticks too. I vacuumed it out, and gave the solid cedar in the trays and dividers a light sanding.

The only identifying marks were these stickers:
309DDBFE-8C6F-40E1-972F-94BC0D473E45.jpeg

I didn’t find this model searching the item number, and that 800 number belongs to Westinghouse Solar customer service. It’s definitely a lower end box, but it’s heavy and seems solid. The lid seems to seal well and passed all the tests, dollar bill, flashlight, whoosh. The exterior has some scratches but is in overall decent shape, the legs were loose but they were easily tightened up.

Anyway, now that I’ve gone through the trouble, I have know idea what I’m gonna put in it yet. I wasn’t in any actual need of more storage at this time. It might end up in a closet out of the way until needed.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nice pickup. I’m always looking for the ashtrays, humidors, tobacco pipes etc at yard sales. Actually, found my tobacco shelf/rack at a sale by my in-laws house for $10.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I’d seal up all the corners in the top and bottom with aquarium sealant, let it dry, season her up and put her into service. Nice piece. Some box storage?
Good thinking on the sealer, I’ll probably do that. I’m sure it can hold a respectable amount of small-medium sized boxes with the trays removed and some strategic stacking, to be determined.

what are those torpedos in the bottom? you holdin out on the good stuff??!!
I honestly don’t remember the names, they’re in the bottom of the trash can. Something coffee flavored.

I see the word "vanilla" on those purple bands... might wanna air it out for a while just to be safe. Those of us who do the dog rocket box pass know exactly what horrors an infused cigar can unleash on a normal cigar
Most of the sticks were removed from the cello, and they’re so old the smell that was coming off them was light, and not unpleasant. I gave all the solid cedar bits a light sanding to try and purge any lingering smell and restore the cedar aroma. I’ll give it a good air-out.

I bet when he first put all those in there the smell when you cracked the lid was quite overwhelming

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This caught my eye as I was driving past a yard sale on my way to work yeaterday. The woman claimed it belonged to her ex-husband. For $50 I became the new owner of a 300-400ish count size humidor, complete with old dried dog rockets.

Here’s the box:
View attachment 138281
View attachment 138282
View attachment 138283

And an example of the previous owner’s fine taste:
View attachment 138285

I tossed the old green foam humidifiers, analog hygrometer, and yes, the sticks too. I vacuumed it out, and gave the solid cedar in the trays and dividers a light sanding.

The only identifying marks were these stickers:
View attachment 138284

I didn’t find this model searching the item number, and that 800 number belongs to Westinghouse Solar customer service. It’s definitely a lower end box, but it’s heavy and seems solid. The lid seems to seal well and passed all the tests, dollar bill, flashlight, whoosh. The exterior has some scratches but is in overall decent shape, the legs were loose but they were easily tightened up.

Anyway, now that I’ve gone through the trouble, I have know idea what I’m gonna put in it yet. I wasn’t in any actual need of more storage at this time. It might end up in a closet out of the way until needed.
That's awesome

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the exact same humidor at a yard sale a couple years ago. Paid $70 for it then, but it was brand new/never used. Sealed the lid with painter's tape. I keep two 320 gram Bovedas at 69%, and it consistently maintains about 65% humidity.