What's new

Ybor City

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I was in Ybor about 5-6 years ago for the RTDA show. I loved it. Walked around town. Met Arturo Fuente, and got the tour of the old factory. Ate Cuban sandwiches. went to the Fuente party at the big game place (gameworks might be the name of it). I walked around during day and nite, and never had any problems. anyway, i am moving down that way pretty soon. My builder warned me that Ybor has really taken a turn for the worse over the past few years. High crime, gangs, and a lot of crime on tourists. Anybody hear the same? I have an internet aquaintance who is a cop who lives in Tampa. Same deal, he told me to keep away. He says the city really downplays the amount of crime because they want the area to keep attracting tourists. http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBF74WLM2F.html

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'd trust the folks that live/work there before I took the word of the tourism industry there.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron, yes, it can be a "hard" area. During the day it's not nearly as bad, but the main drag in Ybore (7th Ave I believe) is basically nothing but a bunch of bars, clubs and a couple of strip joints mixed in. At night (possibly during the day, but I don't think so) they shut down the street and it's one huge party area. Most of the crime happens late night and is directly related to the clubs and such. Too many people drinking hard and clubbing in a fairly small area. They've had issues with fights, stabbings,etc. because of it. It's not an area I go to at night because I'm not into that kind of crowd.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, but if I had my permit, you can be sure I'd be carrying while there. If you are going there during the day to see the cigar related stuff I wouldn't worry too much. As much as it has gone down since you may have been here last, they are also working hard to revitalize the area.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Speaking from personal experience last year.. people there are quick to try and swing and hassle people... I do not know if it is just tourists per-say because we got a ton of hell and we fit in with everybody, well not the gangs but you know what i mean..

the cops were cool and so were the owners of the bars who talked the cops out of taking us.. they took the others instead...

All in all I would carry.. not worry about any of that stuff during the day, I think day time you should be fine.. night you should be fine until about 11.. after that especially around 4 am it gets a little crazy..

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
thanks guys. i do not go out clubbing or drinking at nite, so i would not have any reason to be there late nites. i would still go there to meet up with the cigar guys, but i wont bring my wife. I will make sure that i am well armed just in case.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would not buy property in that area, but if I was still a young buck, I might still rent an apartment down there just for the convenience of partying and cigars.

Ybor seemed to be getting better for a while there, but I think it has peaked for now and is back into a decline part of the cycle. The easy/obvious properties have been renovated, and from here on it's going to improve more slowly.

Ybor is still seedy, night and day. I don't sweat it, cuz I'm a big guy and strangers don't tend to mess with me, but I can understand the concerns.

There are some nice neighborhoods 10 minutes away by car. :)