What's new

Yesterday was a sad day in the beer industry

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Yeah Mike (mthhurley) nailed it on the head I think. I read a few more press releases and articles about the subject. It seems like a deal that allows GI to expand using the deep pockets of Ab-inbev. AB-Inbev is probably looking at is as getting part of the profit from the craft beer industry that is biting away at their macro sales. With that said, and as it's already said, it's easier to buy and own an already established brewery. There's no doubt AB or any of the macro breweries could make fanstastic flavored beers. They have so much science behind their recipe formulation they could make BCS in every brewery they own. The only guys that would be able to tell where it was made would probably be the brewers themselves.

So this might allow GI beers to be produced on a larger scale and afford wider distribution. I could forsee the lighter gravity beers being tested, analyzed and replicated for much larger scale brewing. They have to take many things into account when upping the scale and beyond ingredient variance fermentor geometry is a big deal and AB uses some GIANT fermentors.

Hell we could all be wrong and this could just allow GI to buy a new location and equip it for expanded capacity rather than AB basically contract brewing some batches for them. I would think that AB won't screw with the brewery's success since that's what made GI attractive to them in the first place. I don't think this is a case of evil corporate takeover, after all no one made Hall sell to AB.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I'm sad to hear this, I like GI's stuff. Hope nothing changes, but you know what they say about hope in one hand and shit in the other... Now where'd I put that home brew magazine :scratchhe :grin:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm sad to hear this, I like GI's stuff. Hope nothing changes, but you know what they say about hope in one hand and shit in the other... Now where'd I put that home brew magazine :scratchhe :grin:.

Dan
You should start anyway. If you make beer you like then making two cases at a time is often cheaper than buying one of theirs due to taxes. Of course if you count your time its not a whole lot cheaper. The equipment can be cheap or expensive that's up to you. I have like a total in $300 probably in bare equipment. Plus a bunch of fermentors.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It is sad to hear about Goose Island (I am very sad that my home state is losing a VERY talented brewer as well).
My biggest fear for GI is seeing what happened when Pyramid came around and bought a large percent of some Pacific NW breweries. Quantity over Quality became the new mantra and after closing some and moving production of others outside Oregon and Washington, their local advertising as well as tap handle numbers have all but dissapeared.
With the craft beer market share continuing to increase, I think we'll see more and more of this, as the Big Breweries look to increase sales. Bud has their grips in the CBA and I can see Red Hook, Kona and Widmer falling into Bud's stable as well (RH-38%, Kona-35%, Widmer-40% of shares.)

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Interesting continued damage control
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3651069

WB. Be sure to read John Hall's comments. Especially about upcoming beers. :)
Thanks bro, no doubt you meant this.

From John Hall "In April we're releasing a new imperial stout, Big John, and we will begin making Fleur four packs available year round. In the latter half of 2011 we have plans to release a new Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout along with King Henry, a bourbon barrel-aged Barleywine named in honor of my grandson. "

Can't wait to try all 3 new releases. Looks like some great Thursday's are on the Horizon.