What's new

You can't take it with you...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So, I was smoking a Casa Magna Obscuro today and was really enjoying it... Great cigar with lots of great flavors and spicy kick. About a quarter of the way through my friend calls to grab a couple of pints. So I get the bright idea to cut the cigar just past the burn to save it for later.

Bad idea.

When I relit later, all I got were scorched notes and bitterness. Nothing like what I was experiencing before I cut. Perhaps this is because I'm a naive newbie smoker, but I wanted to warn the other noobs on the forum - only light up if you're sure you can enjoy the whole smoke uninterrupted. It's just not fair to the stick!

-s

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
yeah you have to be ready for a re-light. I often get clled in to do daddy stuff mid smokes and before I put the smoke down, I purge the smoke in the cigar by blowing through it. Of course I try to get back to it before it goes out, but just in case. I do not see a reason to cut the cherry off. then when I relight it, I toast the entire foot again, and have it glowing before I ever draw on it. this prevents the bitter grossness you experienced. Of course I won't light a 2 hour Sig VI unless I have all 2 hours

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Your better to just let it burn out on its own. It wouldn't be like it was before, but you can tap out the access ash and then relite it, making sure to exhale the first few puffs to rid the cigar of old ash.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I've had to let a VSG burn out due to getting pulled over. After lighting back up nearly an hour later, it was soooo nasty, I had to trash it. 3 tickets and a ruined cigar, bad day.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Yeah, I've had almost no luck with relights. If I have to do it I usually do cut the cherry off, then I blow all the smoke out like dpricenator says. Still, if you're gone for more than a very short time it's shot.

-Charles

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0
yeah you have to be ready for a re-light. I often get clled in to do daddy stuff mid smokes and before I put the smoke down, I purge the smoke in the cigar by blowing through it. Of course I try to get back to it before it goes out, but just in case. I do not see a reason to cut the cherry off. then when I relight it, I toast the entire foot again, and have it glowing before I ever draw on it. this prevents the bitter grossness you experienced. Of course I won't light a 2 hour Sig VI unless I have all 2 hours
winner winner chicken dinner! After the glowing...I purge and then draw.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I've had to let a VSG burn out due to getting pulled over. After lighting back up nearly an hour later, it was soooo nasty, I had to trash it. 3 tickets and a ruined cigar, bad day.
Damn Chris, three tickets....what the heck happened?

I also agree with Dave's procedure for re-light.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
the worst thing is that I stuck the clipped stogie into my new case someone got me for Christmas and now it smells like shit.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Purge, cut, relight, purge several times more before ever drawing and then smoke. Done this several times on day olds. Even then sometimes the 1st inch is a bad 1.