What's new

Your Most Earned Cigar

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had started a new and exciting thread on Puff, before, well you know what happened there. I wanted to start something everyone could partake in and share their story. Maybe it was a survival experience where you were lucky to escape certain death. Maybe the birth of your children or an accomplishment of some magnitude. It doesn't matter, just share it with your fellow Brothers. What was your most EARNED cigar?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
During May 2014 my business partner and best friend commenced on our 2nd annual Delaware River Free Range Kayak Camping trip. 3 nights and 4 days out on the massive Delaware River with nothing more than what we could fit in our kayaks. Since it was "Free Range" that meant no access roads or bathrooms, just a fire ring and river access. We were set to put in upriver and paddle 6 miles to our own private island and spend the night there before setting off for another 15 miles of paddling to our 2nd campsite. When we arrived at the parking lot we saw a sign that it was to be paved on one of the days our car was to be there. After a conversation with the Park Ranger, we had to vacate the plan and park 8 miles downriver. We were not happy campers (no pun intended). It was bad enough that we were experiencing torrential down-pouring but we now had to adjust our itinerary. We set off downstream and didn't get 2 miles before our vision was not more than 2 feet from the hurricane type rain that felt more like bullets stinging our faces. We found a campsite after 4 hours of hell. When making camp we discovered that one of our tents were soaked from a breach in the wet weather bag. The rain continued on through the night and stopped after we were asleep.

When we woke up we were in for a huge shock. The depths of the river had risen about 10 feet over night and the banks were compromised entirely. The river had turned into a rapids with floating tree trunks and debris from properties (sheds, pools, etc). The scary part was that after speaking to a Park Ranger we learned that the private island that we were set to camp at was completely under water. We realized had it not been for the inconvenience of the paving we would surely have drown to death. The waters hadn't risen until after we were asleep. After carefully setting off and making it to our next campsite in one piece (man those waters were rough) we got some shock top summer beer out smoked 2 JR Branded Cigars celebrating.....LIFE. To this day it was the best cigar I've smoked, the feeling of being alive was never so prevalent.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.... Think my most memorable(not best cigar) as I type was a Tatuaje Boris that I smoked after my daughters soccer team won their Club Soccer Tournament. Both pups have won more than their fair share tournament wise and I usually will have a celebratory cigar, but for some reason that was special. Championship went to PK's and though my daughter played out the entire game, scoring the 1st goal of the game, the coach put her in net for the shootout. She scored in the shootout, then shut them out, not allowing a goal....it was just fun. I pulled that Boris and just sat out back in this zen, "life is good" moment. Some days are better than others, that was a good day.

Not sure I "earned it", she did...but it's what I'm going with.

First goal of game.....

My cigar....

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Nothing I care to share here. Unless I'm drunk. My job sometimes can get the best of me. 2 years on the job, 3am and a ballon frame 3 story house. Not thinking your getting out of a certain situation sucks. My wife still doesn't know. 10 years later.
I had a drink not a cigar the next morning but it was still worth it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I could have been 6ft under for about 6 years now. Im living in the bonus years, so EVERY cigar I've had since isn't necessarily earned but smoked with thankfulness.

But to contribute to the thread I bought a box of epc short run 2013 (sons birthyear) from our good friends at smallbatchcigar with the idea of smoking one of them on my sons birthdays.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
My "most earned" cigar was last week, when I dumped an 800 lb. gorilla from my back that I had carried for 18 years. I had to tell my son about my health, and the genetic implications it holds for him. I was worried sick, because I wasn't sure how he would respond. He took it like a champ...bless his awesome heart. It was very cathartic for me, so I fired up a Davidoff Nicaragua.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Nothing I care to share here. Unless I'm drunk. My job sometimes can get the best of me. 2 years on the job, 3am and a ballon frame 3 story house. Not thinking your getting out of a certain situation sucks. My wife still doesn't know. 10 years later.
I had a drink not a cigar the next morning but it was still worth it.
I am sure you hear it all the time, but one more time would not hurt.

Thank you!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Padron Serie 1926 Robusto, in December after finding out that I had passed the Professional Engineer exam. I studied about 4 nights a week after work, plus usually a full day on weekends for three months to pass. Now on to the Structural Engineer exam which is twice as long, about twice as hard. I'm going to start studying this summer for an exam in April 2016. I'll earn that stick.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone out there in our cigar world have any stories to contribute? I feel that this has the potential of being a really exciting and happening thread if more people would participate. Thank you in advance.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I will take the bait. I was gifted a 5er of Cohiba Maduro 5 some years ago. I smoked one with my dad fresh. The last 3 I promised to smoke at a special time. The first was when I graduated with honours from University for Accounting, the second was on the day that I married my best friend and the last one will come this summer when my wife and I will welcome our first child into this crazy chaotic world.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say that i have earned a cigar like any of the stories ive read here. But i will say that i have had some of the best, most intriguing and insightful conversations with a cigar in my hand. Cheers to you who have truly earned those special smokes. Look forward to the day that i have an experience to add to the post.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will take the bait. I was gifted a 5er of Cohiba Maduro 5 some years ago. I smoked one with my dad fresh. The last 3 I promised to smoke at a special time. The first was when I graduated with honours from University for Accounting, the second was on the day that I married my best friend and the last one will come this summer when my wife and I will welcome our first child into this crazy chaotic world.
Thank you for telling your story, thats awesome!! Congrats to everything you've accomplished.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cant say that i have earned a cigar like any of the stories ive read here. But i will say that i have had some of the best, most intriguing and insightful conversations with a cigar in my hand. Cheers to you who have truly earned those special smokes. Look forward to the day that i have an experience to add to the post.
Thanks for commenting and I look forward to hearing about it when it happens. I too have had some of the best conversations with a cigar at hand. I practically built my business infrastructure while smoking a cigar. When we have a problem out comes the cigars and in comes a solution.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I haven't picked the stick yet but it is sure to be memorable. My wife and I are heading to Vegas next month to celbrate our 10th aniversary. The cigar i smoke that evening will be sure to be a memorable one.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm an avid bowhunter. Every year I quit smoking cigars during bow season to keep the smell off of me. I was chasing this guy for 12 weeks before I finally put an arrow in him. That night I enjoyed the finest cigar of my life. Can't even remember what it was, but it was a great evening.