What's new

Your thoughts on your Behmor 1600

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know some of you have or have had this home roaster. Would you please share your opinions. I am nearly 2 years into this roasting but still use the hot air popper. I am getting tired of roasting a 1/4 cup at a time and taking almost an hour for a pound of beans. Thoughts appreciated.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Love it! Just got another one for our summer home. I started with the air popper and it just couldn’t keep up. We had a whirley pop last year for the summer home but it was way too much work and never got a consistent roast like the 1600. A few things to note. The smoke suppression is good but definitely not good enough to use in my house. When using it at home definitely sent my smoke alarms off. Chaff will fly all over the place if you open the door in cool down mode. No Audible alarm when it’s ready to go into safety mode something like the last eight minutes of the 1 pound roast. When it does this it’ll automatically shut off after 30 seconds if you don’t hit start again. To get a full roast with 1 pound I have to preheat and tilt the roster back a bit. No big deal but havening longer settings would help with this.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I like it. We use ours right in front of our back door screen so smoke isn't really an issue. It is kind of smoky but not nearly as bad as the whirley pop. Used the whirley pop for a couple years but like Wicket says "way to much work" but I did it pretty consistent. If I ever have to get a new roaster I will probably get something bigger just because we go through a LOT of coffee and we end up using the 1600 a few times a day sometimes making coffee for other people and what not. The auto shut off is a pain, have messed up a few batches with it because once it goes into that safe mode it can't be turned back on until it is cool. It also seems to roast quite slow compare to the whiley pop.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like my coffee roasted to a full city+ and with the Behmor it was not going to happen if you roasted a pound of beans. I found that I could do it but only if I roasted 8ozs. I never thought of turning it so the heat would be directly under the beans. The one thing that is nice is that your batch will all be cooked even. Really wish they would let you override the time and do a manual roast. Much easier then a popcorn popper because you can walk a way for a while before you need to pay attention to the crack.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There is a huge price jump when things are made for a commercial environment but I total agree. Just could not get myself to pull the trigger for a cup of coffee.
It kind of sucks since I haven't been able to find a middle ground for roasters, it's either a couple hundred dollars or like 3-5 grand. Wish I could find a decently priced 3 pound roaster, even used ones are pricey