What's new

Your Winedor Success story:

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I'm curious which wine cooler conversions have been most satisfying?

Out of the box importance:

- temp options
- circulation fans
- seal
- size

Also, ease in adding cedar sides (etc) as well as replacement shelving and humidity.

Your thoughts and photos would be great to read and see.

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have three set-up for long-term storage, singles, and boxes.
I have shelves (forrest; golfnut from wineadors.com) and trays (spanish cedar; cheap humidor.com)
All three are thermoelectric (to maintain humidity)
I went with 3 18 count Avanti wine coolers (have had 54, and 32 counts in the past)
Beads are the way to go for constant humidity and even distribution throughout (62%-64% for my preference; heartfelt.com) plus I throw in any bovedas I get from purchases
Just makes sure the seal around the door is intact and dive right in! also make sure too open to keep air circulation every once in a while (But I don't think anyone on the board has a problem with not opening their humidors :) )

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Thank you CigarGavin! This is very useful information.

I wonder if any of the wine coolers come with fans to aid in circulation? I've looked at several, and even contacted some people selling them on craigslist. I have asked each seller if the wine cooler I was looking at had circulation fans, and most people replied "yes".

Is that normally the case?

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I have two 28 bottle wineadors.

New Air 280 (left)
New Air 281 (right)
Both go up to 66F, so no separate temp controller needed, IMO.
Also, both have drawers from Forrest @ wineadors.com.
Both seal great and fans come on when thermoelectric kicks in. And like Gavin said, the door gets opened enough that additional circulation fans are not required. IMO.
The only difference, beside the look(280 looks nicer IMO), is the fact that the 281 can utilize single drawer slots for skinny drawers. If I had to do again, I would not get these as they are a waste of space. Stack your cigars 1 high vs 4-5 high with the double drawer.
If you want to have space for boxes, get the set up on the left. I shelf, 2 double drawers and a double drawer with false bottom. Will cost you less in the end too. I have 3 shelves (2 for the 280 and 1 for the 281) that I am not using. They are in my coolidor helping keep humidity constant, but I could do that with any piece of SC.
Drawer dividers are a nice touch as well.
I have 2lbs of Heartfelt beads in each.

-KK33-

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Thank you CigarGavin! This is very useful information.

I wonder if any of the wine coolers come with fans to aid in circulation? I've looked at several, and even contacted some people selling them on craigslist. I have asked each seller if the wine cooler I was looking at had circulation fans, and most people replied "yes".

Is that normally the case?

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267
Thermoelectric wine coolers have a circulation fan in them too circulate the "super-cooled" air, thats all ive used in mine. But at the same time if I had a larger cooler (100 bottle plus) I would put an additional fan in it to help circulate the air. Thats one of the reasons I went with three matching 18 counts.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I have two 28 bottle wineadors.

New Air 280 (left)
New Air 281 (right)
Both go up to 66F, so no separate temp controller needed, IMO.
Also, both have drawers from Forrest @ wineadors.com.
Both seal great and fans come on when thermoelectric kicks in. And like Gavin said, the door gets opened enough that additional circulation fans are not required. IMO.
The only difference, beside the look(280 looks nicer IMO), is the fact that the 281 can utilize single drawer slots for skinny drawers. If I had to do again, I would not get these as they are a waste of space. Stack your cigars 1 high vs 4-5 high with the double drawer.
If you want to have space for boxes, get the set up on the left. I shelf, 2 double drawers and a double drawer with false bottom. Will cost you less in the end too. I have 3 shelves (2 for the 280 and 1 for the 281) that I am not using. They are in my coolidor helping keep humidity constant, but I could do that with any piece of SC.
Drawer dividers are a nice touch as well.
I have 2lbs of Heartfelt beads in each.

-KK33-

Can you see the drooooool coming out of my mouth? I think my entire neighborhood can :)

Excellent info KK33. Thank you!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Doug (or anyone else with a 281) on your 281 does your internal fan run constantly? Or is it completely silent between cycles?
I can hear mine running very quietly all the time and noticeably louder when the cooling kicks in. When in "quiet" operation I can still feel air from the internal fan, but very faint.
As I have no reference I'm not sure if mine is faulty or if it's supposed to be like this.

Joel, my drawers from Forrest shipped today so I'll have them early next week. Should have them seasoned and installed by the following weekend.
Any time that second week in December or after, you're more than welcome to stop by and get a first hand look! (I live about a mile from Tobacco Grove)

Also, see my post about Best Buy for a screaming deal on new units!
Not finding the used wine cooler you want? Here's a smoking deal on a new one!
Current code is HOLIDAY20OFF
Good on any small appliance, so all wine cooler variations are included.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
That makes me feel better. I was worried at first and kept meaning to ask since I knew you had one, but I'm a bit of a procrastinator...

So, Joel, at least with that model, there is some constant air circulation. I've got a couple %RH swing between top and bottom of mine but it's currently packed with sticks in old cigar boxes from TG. I'm hoping the uniformity of the drawers and more dispersed KL/bead placement evens that out a bit (and fully expect it to from researching other's prior experience)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
So my plan was to grab a Xbox one tomorrow. You guys are making me consider a Winedor now. Thanks a lot. :/
Eh? By time you get it and all the games you want, they'll release the next new console and you'll be ready to upgrade again. The wineador should last "forever" (or at least until the Peltier device or fanmotors burn out) and provide years, if not decades of enjoyment! ;)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So my plan was to grab a Xbox one tomorrow. You guys are making me consider a Winedor now. Thanks a lot. :/
Eh? By time you get it and all the games you want, they'll release the next new console and you'll be ready to upgrade again. The wineador should last "forever" (or at least until the Peltier device or fanmotors burn out) and provide years, if not decades of enjoyment! ;)
Perspective is a wonderful thing isn't it?

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
That makes me feel better. I was worried at first and kept meaning to ask since I knew you had one, but I'm a bit of a procrastinator...

So, Joel, at least with that model, there is some constant air circulation. I've got a couple %RH swing between top and bottom of mine but it's currently packed with sticks in old cigar boxes from TG. I'm hoping the uniformity of the drawers and more dispersed KL/bead placement evens that out a bit (and fully expect it to from researching other's prior experience)
It doesn't seem to, but mine only varies from top to bottom by 2% usually. I can't tell the difference between a cigar at 65 and 67 so I don't worry too much. Plus my temp dips to 63-64 ish during the winter months and that doesn't bother me either.

-KK33-

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Needless to say, I fell off gaming probably 10 years ago. Kinda miss it at times... Buy both?! :thumbup::D

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Needless to say, I fell off gaming probably 10 years ago. Kinda miss it at times... Buy both?! :thumbup::D
If the wife doesn't kill me. I will be a very happy man.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Joel, my drawers from Forrest shipped today so I'll have them early next week. Should have them seasoned and installed by the following weekend.
Any time that second week in December or after, you're more than welcome to stop by and get a first hand look! (I live about a mile from Tobacco Grove)
That is a very kind offer which I want to take you up on! Be warned that my extra-long hair and military tattoos could frighten the kids :)

I promise however I am gentle and harmless!

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Thanks for your service to our country sir. I am not a Vet, but wish I was.

I have started tattooing my right arm with images depicting the branches of the military - in order to show my deep respect and gratitude for all that you and your brothers (and sisters) have done for me and my family as well as all Freedom loving people.

Deep respect.

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267