What's new

Zino Embassy Selection Review

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
This is my first review of a cigar. I had been anticipating the arrival of the new Zino Embassy Selection since they were announced last month. I picked up a few sticks at Jack Schwartz this afternoon, which they just got in today. (While I was there, I happened to meet a fellow brother, Benzopyrene.)

It's a 6x53 Perfecto, with am Ecuador Sun Grown wrapper. Two black and gold bands surround the cigar. Both bands on this stick had a little too much glue, such that it wanted to pull some of the wrapper off with them. It wasn't major, but hopefully the other two I got won't be the same. The wrapper was pretty smooth, with only a couple of small veins. There was a little spot that was not completely flat in the wrap, but it was hardly noticeable. All in all, the construction was pretty good.

The pre-light puff had a strong cedar taste, with a little nutty flavor. The cedar flavor was quite evident upon lighting. The first third was pretty creamy, again with a nutty (somewhat spicy flavor) with a nice cedar finish on the tongue.

The ash was somewhat flaky, partly because the was a slight ridge, which cause it to spread the ash open on one side, but the other side was much tighter, as you can see in the two pics below.

The cedar, although it was there throughout the smoke, mellowed in the second third of the cigar. The second third had more of a peppery finish with each puff, but was more mellow than the first third.

The final third brought back the stronger cedar flavor from the beginning of the cigar, as well as kept the spicy pepper that started to appear more in the second third.

All in all, the stick burned fairly evenly. There were some uneven burning, but the stick did a good job of evening itself out. It never got hot to the point that I had to put it down, so it is definitely a nubber. To get to that nub it took an hour and 45 minutes.

If you have had Zinos, or have wanted to try them, I would definitely recommend getting one. The price point isn't too bad either. They're about $9 per stick, much lower compared to the higher priced Grand or Platinum Masters.

Last edited:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I stayed away from Zino after their Special Wrapper Chubby. Can-not believe what I payed for it. THIS however, sounds much more reasonable (still unlike to buy any, though). Thanks for the review, mate!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Roachie, very nice review and pic's my brother! :thumbsup:

(if this was your first review I couldn't tell!)

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've smoked a boat load of the Low Rider Platinum, and love the Platinum Crown (picked some up in Vegas @ IPCPR for a steal). I will have to give a couple of these a try. A 9 dollar Zino sounds pretty good to me...

Thanks for the review and heads up!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice review. I tried one as well. Agreed with most of your thoughts, I do think it was a but young, verging on harsh in spots. But it has some great aging potential! Thanks!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Apparently there werent tht many of these made according to the guys over Jack Schwartz. I think they said 750 boxes, but I havent looked to confirm. Nice meeting you roach! Thanks for the review!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks Zen! I think you might be right about letting them sit. Glad I got a few, so I could possibly follow-up.

Benzo, yeah, they are a pretty small release from what I saw (saw a page that said 775 boxes total). I like Zinos, and after having that one, I am seriously thinking about grabbing the rest of that open box at Jack's. Great meeting you too!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Yeah, he was sitting down, having a smoke. He asked if I was staying to smoke, but I couldn't.