What's new

04 Montecristo No. 1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked this about 30 mins after the Bolivar I just posted about.

We were sitting on my friend's front porch watching the cloudy sky roll by, occasionally being kissed by a very cold, light sprinkle. The temperature had dropped a few degrees since the Bolivar and I thought the Montecristo might be a nice follow up.

I got a box of 10 of these (4 left now) and the smell that rises out of the cardboard is intoxicating. It screams Havana. To any non-cigar smoker it might not be a good smell, but it was just one of those smells that you know is the evidence of an amazing smoke to come.

I punched the cap and chewed on it for a few minutes before I lit it. When I finally lit it I was rewarded with some amazing preliminary puffs. Very dark, earthy flavors. You could taste the humidity of the soil, I could only think of rainfall during a full moon in the tobacco fields of Cuba.

After the first inch or so we moved into the garage to play some poker. It was obvious my priority was not concentrating on my hand, but enjoying this amazing lonsdale. I feel like I turned a corner in cigar appreciation with this stick. It was just so tasty for a 3 year old cigar. This thing aged beautifully. I haven't noticed any plume on these yet (you should see some 01 Partagas Lonsdales I have, they look like logs after a light winter snow storm), but I'm sure some will come around eventually.

During the poker game the cigar transformed from being merely rich, damp soil into very intriguing notes of mocha, chocolate, cream and leather (which I've never really noticed in Montecristos before, but I welcomed it with open lips).

I love this size of cigar and it's pretty easy for me to say Montecristo is my favorite brand, so this is definitely in my list of top 5 cigars I'd like to have a continuous stock of. People look shocked when I tell them I've never had a No. 2 or a No. 4, but I'm equally shocked when I hear they haven't had a No. 1 (I have 4 left and I think I've smoked 3, that might tell you how adamant I am to show how great I think this cigar is).

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
nice review. I'll have to try one of these. Don't know why, I've always passed on the No.1 size- maybe afraid of a poor draw. Looks like the plus outweighs the minus there.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Nice review. I've never beeninto the smaller ring gague until just recently. I may have to jump on a box of these as my first CC box purchase.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
The Monte 2 is one of my faves, and the No.4 is pretty damn good too. The No.5 isn't bad if you're looking for a small, quick, and flavorful smoke.

I'll have to try a No.1 someday; I'm a fan of lonsdales.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last year they discontinued so many lonsdales/panatelas/lanceros, such a tragedy!

so happy this cigar made the cut.

definitely suggest to buy a box of these. you can find boxes of 10s for around $80 or so if you look hard enough, that's a good buy.